If you have landed on this page, you are probably in the process of gathering as much information regarding car claims are possible. This task can prove to be a little bit more difficult than imagined, since there is an abundance of information on the Internet, and not all of it is accurate. Rather than feeling confused, read on to discover six of the most pivotal things you need to know about such claims…
1) You need to visit a doctor if you want to claim – A lot of people make the error of attempting to cope with their injuries themselves. However, you need to see a doctor if you want to have any chance of claiming. If you fail to do so there will be no proof of your injuries.
2) There is a time limit on personal injury claims – Did you know that there is a three-year time limit on claims? Court proceedings must be issued within this three year period. So, don’t delay!
3) You don’t need any money to make a claim – One of the main reasons why people do not get the compensation they deserve is because they do not have the money to use the services of a solicitor. Yet, if you opt for no win no fee claims rather than a traditional service, you actually do not need any money to begin your claim.
4) You probably won’t have to go to court – Contrary to popular belief, less than three per cent of personal injury cases end up in the courtroom. Thus, it’s highly unlikely that your claim will go to trial.
5) You can claim for ‘special damages’ as well – You will not only be compensated for your suffering, but also any costs you have incurred as a result of the injury as well. This can be anything from childcare expenses, to loss of income, to medical costs.
6) You can look for your accident report online – Evidence is critical to any case. You can search for your crash report online to assist with this.
How much compensation will I get?
Let’s face it when making a car claim, one question on everyone’s lips is… How much compensation will I get? After all, no one wants to make a personal injury claim if they are only going to receive peanuts! In this section, we will help you to get a good idea of how much money you could be entitled to.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to give you a definitive figure without knowing the ins and outs of your case. First, it is a good idea to determine whether you have a case to begin with, and if so how your compensation will be calculated.
So, do you have a good personal injury case? Ask yourself the following three questions…
- Did the accident occur because of someone else’s error or negligence?
- Did you see a doctor as a result of your injuries?
- Did the incident happen within the past three years?
If you are able to answer ‘yes’ to those three questions then you definitely have the basis for a good compensation claim. Now, how much money will you get?
Compensation is split into two parts. By understanding both parts you will be able to get a good idea of the money you could receive. So, let’s take a look…
– General damages: This is the money you will receive for the suffering you have experienced. It is calculated based on the severity of your injury and the impact it has had on your everyday life.
– Special damages: We mentioned this one earlier! It’s for out-of-pocket costs.
Featuring the 2021 Toyota Supra A91 Special Edition
CRD Auto Industry Insider may contain helpful and on-topic partner content that auto enthusiasts and car shoppers find valuable.