The amount of beauty and glamour in the 2015 S-Class Coupe is almost unreal. Sharing a name and much of its style with the S550, the new Coupe totally banishes all thought of the CL-Class — immediately and permanently on first sight.
We’ve been very eager to try out this new high-fashion two-door for months now. But pouring rain means many of the photos are not up to the normal high standards we keep here at Car-Revs-Daily.com.
Luckily, GoPro video in the cabin for our full-throttle drive was recording in full HD glory!
Check out the video for a a look at my shocked face in this porcelain Designo interior, enjoying the AMG Sport package and the 20-inch multispoke alloys, plus a 4.5-second sprint to 60-mph via this 4.7-liter V8TT.
Overall, the S550 Coupe makes such a fast and cool case for itself, it is hard to imagine needing more than this stunning new supercoupe. But indeed there are plenty of ways to upgrade the $120,000 S-Class Coupe: The test car features the aforementioned sport pack, wheels and Diamond White paint for $7,500.
Exhaust Note Sample
The cabin in this special Designo finish adds another $7k, while active multicontour massage seats and Burmeister audio adds another $7k.
Out the door, this loaded S550 4Matic Coupe came in at $149,000. Still $10k less than the S63 AMG Coupe that sprints to 60-mph 0.6-seconds quicker — the S550 Coupe is an absolutely stellar vehicle. Is 449-horsepower and 4.5-seconds to 60-mph that inferior to the 3.9-second S63 AMG?!
That is up to you. The S63 bases at $160k, while the S65 bases at $230,000 for the true plutocrats.
ONE GRIPPY GRIPE…
Any gripes during the drive in a torrential downpour around Texas Motor Speedway near Dallas?
Just one: the seatbelt. Its active pretensioner is very, very eager to ratchet you back into the seat when it thinks the car is out of control. Even in 15-minutes of driving, being strangled by this strong, strong retracting seatbelt was very un-fun. Worse still, we could not escape its rib-crushing pull. Only forcing the buckle open seemed to free my torso from a death squeeze.
Yes, in that way, the S550 Coupe is like Goldeneye’s Bond girl: Xenia Onatop. Sexy and exotic, but also able to squeeze the oxygen right out of your lungs!
Just kidding. The pre-tensioning seatbelts were irritating and unpleasant, especially considering that there was no danger around. But overall, the S550 Coupe is one of the best Mercedes-AMG redesigns ever.
2015 Mercedes-Benz S550 Coupe Review
S550 4MATIC Coupe
$119,900 MSRP* Base
- 4.7L biturbo V-8
- Acceleration0 to 60 mph
- 4.5 sec †
- Horsepower@ 5,250-5,550 rpm
- 449 hp
- Torque@ 1,800-3,500 rpm
- 516 lb-ft
- Sport body styling
- 19-inch AMG twin 5-spoke alloy wheels
- 20-inch AMG multispoke alloy wheels
- Brushed aluminum pedals
- Color: designo Diamond White Metallic
- Wheels: 20-inch AMG multispoke alloy wheels
- Color: designo Porcelain/Espresso Brown Exclusive Nappa leather
- Trim: designo Black Piano Lacquer wood
- Active multicontour front seats with massage
- Heated front seats PLUS
- Surround View System
- Head-Up Display
Warmth & Comfort Package
- Heated rear seats
- Heated front armrests and door panels
- Heated steering wheel
- Wood/leather steering wheel
Wood/leather multifunction steering wheel
Included with package
Key Standard Features
- COMAND system with touchpad controller
- Dual 12.3-inch high-resolution screens
- FrontBass® system
- Burmester Surround Sound system
- In-car WiFi hotspot
- Voice control with learning feature
- Dual USB audio ports
- SiriusXM Radio with 6-month All Access trial
- SiriusXM Traffic and Weather with 3 years of service
- Hands-free Bluetooth interface
- Heated 16-way power front seats with memory
- Ventilated front seats
- Electronic trunk closer
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Cabin fragrance system
- Multicolor/multizone LED ambient lighting
- Illuminated door sills
- Power rear-window sunshade
- Soft-close doors
MAGIC SKY CONTROL®
Burmester High-End 3D Surround Sound system
Performance & Safety
Key Standard Features
- 4.7L biturbo V-8 engine
- ECO Start/Stop system
- 7-speed automatic transmission with shift paddles
- 4MATIC all-wheel drive
- AIRMATIC suspension
- Torque Vectoring Brake
- Adaptive braking technology
- COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS
- ATTENTION ASSIST®
- 12-way air bag protection
- Active full-LED headlamps
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist
- Mercedes-Benz mbrace
- Rearview camera
Driver Assistance Package
- DISTRONIC PLUS® with Steering Assist
- BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist
- PRE-SAFE® Brake with Pedestrian Recognition
- PRE-SAFE PLUS
- Active Blind Spot Assist
- Active Lane Keeping Assist
Night View Assist PLUS
Tom Burkart is the founder and managing editor of Car-Revs-Daily.com, an innovative and rapidly-expanding automotive news magazine.
He holds a Journalism JBA degree from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Tom currently resides in Charleston, South Carolina with his two amazing dogs, Drake and Tank.
Mr. Burkart is available for all questions and concerns by email Tom(at)car-revs-daily.com.