The 2016 Chevrolet Equinox just had its best-ever sales month in January 2015, which is proof that the large and affordable crossover is still a hit with shoppers.
For 2016, the Equinox features an all-new nose and tail look, along with a classier glasshouse shape and upgraded interior.
Fresh Face: Chevrolet Introduces Restyled 2016 Equinox
Premium cues, new safety features enhance Chevy’s record-selling compact SUV
CHICAGO – Chevrolet today introduced the 2016 Equinox – a contemporized version of the popular compact SUV. Updates include new styling with premium accents, new wheel designs and new available safety features, as well as a larger color touchscreen radio and a standard rear-vision camera for entry-level models.
The enhanced Equinox goes on sale this fall, building on five years of record sales in the highly competitive compact SUV segment and strengthening Chevrolet’s broad sport utility lineup, which includes the Traverse, the all-new Trax small SUV and the redesigned 2015 Tahoe and Suburban full-size SUVs.
“Chevrolet Equinox is a pillar of the compact SUV segment, thanks to a value rooted in great style, efficiency, safety and connectivity,” said Alan Batey, president, GM North America. “The enhancements to the 2016 Equinox make a versatile vehicle an even better choice, and demonstrate Chevrolet’s commitment to delivering the broadest lineup of SUVs in the industry.”
Equinox sales in the U.S. increased to 242,242 in 2014 – the fifth consecutive year of record sales since the second-generation launched as a 2010 model.
It also held more than 9 percent of the compact SUV market, which surged 17.4 percent in 2014 and accounted for 15.5 percent of the total vehicle market – eclipsing midsize cars for the first time to become the auto industry’s largest segment.
The roster of new and updated features available on the 2016 Equinox includes:
- New trim lineup: L, LS, LT and LTZ, a streamlining of the model lineup that eliminates the 1LT and 2LT trims.
- New front fascia and chrome-accented dual-port grille design – including specific chrome trim on LT and LTZ grilles
- New, premium projector-beam headlamps on all models helps make the Equinox more visible at night
- New daytime running lamps on LT and LTZ, with reflector-style lamps on L and LS, and light-emitting diode, (LED) lamps on LT and LTZ that create a distinctive, upscale lighting signature
- New fog lamps on LTZ
- New, Chevy-signature dual-element taillamps, revised license plate applique and revised lower rear fascia on all models, with chrome trim on LTZ lower fascia
- New 17-inch aluminum wheels on LT and new 18-inch aluminum wheels on LTZ
- New available 17-inch wheel optional on LS model
- New chrome exhaust outlets on V-6 models
- Available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features on LT and LTZ
- Standard seven-inch-diagonal Color Touch radio (including Bluetooth phone connectivity) and rear-vision camera on L and LS models
- Revised instrument panel “center stack” with new storage shelf and updated control graphics
- New, chrome-trimmed transmission shifter with Electronic Range Selector mode buttons relocated to the top of the shifter handle
- Enhanced interior fabrics in L and LS designed for a premium look and feel
- New Saddle Up interior color
- New universal tablet holders available through dealers from Chevrolet Accessories. They mount on the rear of the front seats to provide convenient access for rear-seat passengers.
“The new face of the Equinox is highlighted by a more expressive execution of chrome accents and premium lighting,” said John Cafaro, executive director of design, global Chevrolet cars. “The result is a modern exterior that’s matched inside with premium features on all trim levels, complementing the Equinox’s enhanced technology and functionality.”