Just when I am grieving the loss of my press-loaner F-Type R AWD Coupe and its astounding brilliance… along comes an even hotter F-Type!
The new SVR range-topper delivers a 25HP bump in horsepower to 575, a new titanium exhaust system drops weight and adds sound, while advanced new aero details grace all sides of this quickest-ever Jaguar supercar. And short of the XJ220 without its catalytic converters… this new SVR is also the fastest production Jaguar of all time.
Bottom line? JAG is OFF THE CHAIN!
Clear the area people, this could get very dangerous! Do not provoke the beast!
Just kidding, of course. This new SVR is helpfully reigned in with an AWD system as standard for both the coupes and ragtops.
New styling details include a full revamp of the front bumper, extra downforce from a new chin spoiler, and extra intake cooling via exagerrated outer intakes with integrated aero spats.
A new-style ventwork appears in the hood with numerous small slats versus the clean outlets in the F-Type R, while new fender-back ventwork appears behind the front axle for the first time. This deep slice into the alloy bodywork is fairly dramatic — and a great way to mark out the F-Type SVR from its $65k siblings.
Around back, we have a fresh active spoiler with a full-length horizontal element, plus vertical uprights at both edges to act as horizontal stabilizers at ultra high speeds.
Speaking of killer pace, the new SVR rocks its sonorous bellow and tsunami of torque right up to 200-mph dead for the coupe. 195-mph for the ragtop pushes the SVR deep into Aston, Bentley and McLaren territory — big game that the Jaguar hunter was forbidden from stalking before….!
The price for all this loveliness? A bump of about $20 over the F-Type R takes the SVR’s base price to $125k.
The order books are open now.
Best of #NYIAS – 2017 Jaguar F-TYPE SVR
Jaguar just confirmed the newest F-Type rumor: an SVR!
A photo leak last week ended up online over at an Aussie car news website ahead of time — so it is nice of JLR to confirm that the leaked car is the real deal. This is in contrast to a previous leak of the actual F-PACE weeks prior to its debut in Frankfurt 2014. Jaguar declined to confirm the car was real then… and led to a strange purgatory for auto writers. To cover this unconfirmed item or not?
The end result was that once that indigo SUV was revealed live, it was already old news.
Positive PR moves to a Jaguar no-doubt fuming about the continued prelaunch leaks.
Now on to the main event: the hottest Jaguar since the C-X17 and XJ220!
This new F-Type SVR will be offered in hard or softtop forms, with target bullseyes on the back of the Nissan GT-R, AMG GT-S and Porsche 911 Turbo.
But the F-TYPE’s continued evolution now means the hilariously-playful machine comes in rear or AWD, stick or automatic, and even with some base turbo fours in the future. This is prime time to simultaneously move the car both up and down the market.
Power from its supercharged 5.0-liter V8 is said to be 575HP, but we’re hoping for a round 600. Numerous tuners have shown the engine is capable of spitting seven bills of flame out the back fairly easily, so we hope SVR can make the 600HP dream a reality.
But all this to the back wheels? Nope!
Jaguar confirms subtly below that the SVR F-TYPE will be AWD in saying it is an “all-weather supercar.” Sweet — and helpful when trying to get into the mid-3-second range for a 0-60-mph sprint.
An all-new titanium exhaust system for the SVR is a final delicious detail. This means the SVR will top the incredibly sonics of the already-delightful F-Type R and its 550HP motor.
The car will bow online on February 17th ahead of its live reveal Geneva in mid March.
JAGUAR INTRODUCES ULTRA-HIGH PERFORMANCE F-TYPE SVR AHEAD OF GENEVA DEBUT
- Acceleration from 0-60mph takes just 3.5 seconds2
- With a top speed of 200mph2 for the Coupe, the F-TYPE SVR is the fastest series production vehicle to be produced by Jaguar Cars
- Supercharged 5.0-liter V8 develops 575HP and 516-lb.ft. of torque
- Developed by Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations to be lighter, quicker, faster and more powerful than the F-TYPE R while remaining tractable and useable day-to-day
- The F-TYPE SVR is the first Jaguar to wear the SVR badge
- Optional Carbon Ceramic Matrix (CCM) brake system delivers exceptional fade resistance and a 46-lb (21kg) reduction in unsprung mass
- Whole vehicle weight saving of 55-lbs (25kg) compared to the 17MY F-TYPE R, and up to 110-lbs (50kg) with options including the CCM brake system, carbon fiber roof panel and carbon fiber pack
- Enhanced aerodynamics package of front bumper and splitter, flat underfloor, rear venturi and carbon fiber active rear spoiler reduce lift and drag
- Inconel Titanium exhaust system delivers an even more purposeful, harder-edged sound – and a 35-lbs (16kg) weight saving
- Bespoke calibrations for the Quickshift transmission and the Electric Power-Assisted Steering, Adaptive Dynamics, Torque Vectoring, Dynamic Stability Control and All-Wheel Drive systems
- Upgraded chassis featuring new dampers and anti-roll bars, wider tires, lightweight 20-inch forged wheels and new, stiffer rear knuckles
- Unique SVR seats with Lozenge Quilt pattern, suedecloth-covered instrument binnacle and center console, SVR steering wheel and anodized aluminum paddle shifters
- Customers may specify and order their F-TYPE SVR now, ahead of the global auto show debut at the Geneva Motor Show, March 1
- Deliveries of the F-TYPE SVR will begin from Summer 2016
- Priced from $125,950 for the Coupe and $128,800 for the Convertible3
(MAHWAH, N.J.) – February 16, 2016 – Jaguar today digitally revealed the F-TYPE SVR, an even more extreme version of the already popular sports car and its first to wear the high-performance SVR badge, ahead of its auto show debut in Geneva on March 1. Developed to exploit the lightweight aluminum sports car’s full potential while retaining its inherent tractability and day-to-day usability, the Jaguar F-TYPE SVR will sprint to 60 mph in just 3.5 seconds2 and, in coupe trim, joins an elite club of cars capable of accelerating to 200 mph1,2.
By exploiting the fundamental capability engineered in to the F-TYPE from day one, the Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) division developed the brand’s lightest, quickest, most powerful F-TYPE and its fastest and most powerful series production road car ever with functional enhancements to the chassis, driveline and aerodynamics.
The F-TYPE R is already widely recognized in the sports car segment and represented the starting point for development of the more extreme F-TYPE SVR. Everything which contributes to the vehicle’s performance and handling dynamics has been meticulously re-evaluated, re-engineered and optimized by SVO, adding an even higher performance version of the F-TYPE to 2017 model year line up.
U.S. 2017MY F-TYPE Model Line Up and Pricing:
|Engine – Driveline||MSRP3
|F-TYPE Manual||340HP S/C V6 – RWD Manual||$61,400 / $65,400|
|F-TYPE||340HP S/C V6 – RWD Auto||$62,700 / $66,700|
|F-TYPE Premium Manual||340HP S/C V6 – RWD Manual||$66,800 / $69,900|
|F-TYPE Premium||340HP S/C V6 – RWD Auto||$68,100 / $71,200|
|F-TYPE S Manual||380HP S/C V6 – RWD Manual||$79,100 / $82,200|
|F-TYPE S||380HP S/C V6 – RWD Auto||$80,600 / $83,700|
|F-TYPE S AWD||380HP S/C V6 – AWD Auto||$86,600 / $89,700|
|F-TYPE S British Design Edition||380HP S/C V6 – RWD Auto||$92,100 / $95,200|
|F-TYPE S AWD British Design Edition||380HP S/C V6 – AWD Auto||$98,100 / $101,200|
|F-TYPE R||550HP S/C V8 – AWD Auto||$105,400 / $108,250|
|F-TYPE SVR||575HP S/C V8 – AWD Auto||$125,950 / $128,800|
Tom Burkart is the founder and managing editor of Car-Revs-Daily.com, an innovative and rapidly-expanding automotive news magazine.
He holds a Journalism JBA degree from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Tom currently resides in Charleston, South Carolina with his two amazing dogs, Drake and Tank.
Mr. Burkart is available for all questions and concerns by email Tom(at)car-revs-daily.com.