BMW has one of the deepest factory-approved performance catalogs in the car business. Everything from coffee mugs to ECU chips, wheels to suspensions and exhausts are available via M Performance Parts.
But for the most part, these upgrades are all a post-sale affair. They can be ordered and fitted at any BMW dealership, and they keep the warranty of the car intact while increasing performance — sometimes dramatically.
For buyers seeking a truly unique performance special right out of the box, there is a new choice: the 2016 435i ZHP.
This special-edition model adds nearly a dozen highly desirable M Performance Parts to the stout 4.8-second-435i Coupe. A new intake, ECU power kit for the engine, exhaust and limited-slip differential join the M Sport package and the new-for-2016 Track Handling package.
Outside, carbon-fiber goodies dress up the nose, sills and tail very nicely indeed.
The end result is a jump in power up to 335-horsepower versus the stock 300, with the outright 0-60-mph time falling by an estimated 0.2-seconds to 4.6-seconds.
On a slightly related note, this ZHP announcement likely means that the new 340i engine of the four-door is not coming to the 4 series until the 2017 model-year. The 340i xDrive claims a 60-mph sprint with xDrive of just 4.6-seconds — but may have trouble keeping up with the smiles or laptimes of the ZHP around a challenging racetrack.
These ZHP Edition mods are a fantastic way to have one of the coolest 435i Coupes, right out of the box.
Pricing is TBD but likely to bring a $5,000 to $7,000 premium, taking the price of this sexy exec coupe into the mid-50’s.
2016 BMW 435i ZHP Edition
BMW UNVEILS THE SPECIAL EDITION BMW 435i ZHP COUPE
Woodcliff Lake, NJ – May 19, 2015… Paying tribute to the iconic ZHP Performance Package, BMW today released details for a 2016 BMW 435i ZHP Coupe Edition. The original ZHP option code was created by BMW Individual as a performance package for the 2003-2006 E46 3 Series that included the M-Tech II body kit, a ZHP shifter knob and shifter, upgraded suspension parts and settings, a different DME and special cam shafts that raised power output to 235 hp and allowed for a higher redline. Fulfilling the desires of true enthusiasts, the package was soon referred to by its internal option package code ‘ZHP’. BMW of North America embraced the thirst for the unique BMW 435i ZHP Coupe Edition once more resulting in the unique collaboration between factory options and key elements from the exciting BMW M Performance Accessory catalogue. Only 100 of these very special cars will be offered.
The new BMW 435i ZHP Coupe Edition is not just a vehicle with improved optics and aerodynamics; it is also notably quicker with more precise handling. These components take the vehicle’s capabilities to levels that those familiar with BMW’s racing heritage can appreciate. The BMW M Performance line of accessories provides a distinctive, sporty character to further enhance driving dynamics and is the result of years of racing expertise and has been developed in close collaboration with BMW M GmbH. Each component goes through an intensive development and manufacturing process resulting in uncompromised performance. Exclusive chassis, aerodynamic, cockpit and powertrain components are found throughout the BMW 435i ZHP Coupe Edition. Key characteristics are:
- Track Handling Package, new for MY16
- BMW M Performance Limited Slip Differential (LSD)
- BMW M Performance Parts
- M Sport Package
Track Handling Package
Designed to increase the dynamic capabilities of the already agile BMW 435i, the Track Handling Package adds 18” Orbit Grey V-Spoke Wheels and M Sport Brakes with 4 piston fixed front and 2 piston fixed rear calipers adding to the vehicles thirst and drivers demand for speed and acceleration. Moreover, this package incorporates the Adaptive M Suspension with variable damper technology as well as Variable Sport Steering.
BMW M Performance Limited Slip Differential
Designed and created for BMW enthusiasts, the mechanical Limited Slip Differential provides the extra performance advantage that true performance drivers desire. This differential utilizes 3 clutch plates for a total of 30% lockup on acceleration and 9% lockup on deceleration. This lockup provides instant power to the wheel that has the greatest amount of grip to gain better traction out of tight corners. An additional benefit in low-grip situations is that both wheels get equal torque, meaning more forward driving force on roads with reduced traction. The M Performance limited slip differential optimizes the traction, and ensures more controlled and precise driving behavior at the vehicles limits of adhesion. The M Performance LSD is a true advantage while at the track or in sporty driving situations.
- The advantage can be felt at the track and in everyday driving. The improved vehicle dynamics are clearly present with the LSD as more torque can be transferred to the road at any given time, allowing for quicker acceleration out of corners.
- Traction is improved for any type of road condition.
- The LSD integrates seamlessly with the vehicles’ DSC system.
BMW M Performance Engine Kit (+35 hp, up to +32 lb-ft)
The BMW 435i ZHP Edition gets an exhilarating boost in performance thanks to the new
M Performance Power Kit enabling an unprecedented level of acceleration and speed. The BMW M Performance Power Kit features engine tuning software and a new
M Performance Engine Air Intake system. In addition, a replacement M Performance Engine Cover and Rocker Panel Decals provide visual distinction this special edition vehicle deserves. Power and torque figures are now updated as follows:
- Horsepower increased to 335hp (35hp gain).
- Torque is increased to 332 lb-ft (automatic transmission, 32 ft/lb gain) and 317 lb-ft (manual transmission, 17 ft/lb gain).
- Improved acceleration that drivers can feel immediately when compared to a standard 435i:
- 2 seconds faster than the standard 435i model from 0 mph to 60 mph.
- 5 seconds faster than the standard 435i model from 50 mph to 75 mph.
- More dynamic accelerator pedal calibration in Comfort, Sport and Sport + Modes, provides an even quicker engine response.
- Exhaust “burble” sound during engine overrun conditions. The M Performance Power Kit ensures an optimized engine and exhaust system sound. The exhaust “burble” is enabled in Comfort mode and amplified even further in Sport mode. As a result, the car sound amplifies ‘performance’.
- Sport Display now shows increased power figures (400 hp and 400 lb-ft) to reflect increased performance.
- The M Performance Rocker Panel Decals give the car a sportier look, even from the outside, providing a hint of the car’s hidden performance.
BMW M Performance Exhaust
The stainless-steel M performance Exhaust sheds 8.8 pounds of weight while also reducing backpressure for improved dynamic performance, producing a sound that is perfectly balanced for performance and comfort. Two stainless steel tips with a brushed finish connect to a muffler with a straight-through design.
BMW M Performance Aerodynamics Package
The BMW 435i ZHP Edition is also enhanced by the addition of the M Performance Aerodynamics Package. This package underlines the sporting appearance of this special edition vehicle. It comprises of the following components: A front and rear spoiler made from high-quality carbon, as well as a rear diffuser made from PUR-RIM a specially crafted high quality polymer. The dynamic elegance of the M Performance Aerodynamics package amplifies the vehicles exemplary sportiness even further. Above all it offers optimized aerodynamics and accentuates the car’s sporty driving behavior.
- Made entirely from carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP), the design of the front M Performance Front Carbon Fiber Splitter and rear M Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler give the BMW 435i ZHP Edition a powerful appearance.
- 3 striking, embossed bars are integrated into the design of the rear M Performance Diffuser. Their pointed appearance accentuates the car’s sporty character.
- The integrated expanded grille in the rear diffuser painted in matte black produces an additional motorsport feel.
- M Performance Black Kidney Grilles round off this striking BMW M Performance Aerodynamic Package.
M Sport Package
The BMW 435i ZHP Edition incorporates the M Sport Package comprised of the front and rear Aerodynamic kit, Aluminum Hexagon Trim with a Black high-gloss accent and an M Sport steering wheel.
Only 100 BMW 435i ZHP Editions will be produced making it an exclusive option for customers in search for something truly special. Available with either a Sport Automatic 8 speed or a 6 speed Manual Transmission, the customer can choose to drive either an Alpine White or Black Sapphire Metallic BMW 435i ZHP Edition.
The ZHP will be available through selected BMW M Centers with production starting in July.
Pricing on the new BMW 435i ZHP Edition will be announced closer to the on-sale date.
BMW of North America is also able to offer many of these BMW M Performance Parts individually through a program called VIA (Vehicle Distribution Center Installed Accessory).
VIA allows buyers of new BMW or MINI vehicles to add cosmetic and performance accessories to their factory order and have them installed at the port before dealer delivery. These accessories are then fully warranted as part of the New Car Warranty, residualized in a lease or amortized into a loan, incorporating the value of accessories into the actual MSRP.
Tom Burkart is the founder and managing editor of Car-Revs-Daily.com, an innovative and rapidly-expanding automotive news magazine.
He holds a Journalism JBA degree from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Tom currently resides in Charleston, South Carolina with his two amazing dogs, Drake and Tank.
Mr. Burkart is available for all questions and concerns by email Tom(at)car-revs-daily.com.