400kph is a messianic number for auto engineers. It is a point few road cars can even contemplate, let alone attempt in a hot blast of full throttle then full braking.
The Chiron just set the world record for this insane benchmark of a test. 42 seconds and just 1.92 miles are all that Chiron needed to make auto history forever.
Among the rare few other cars that could even attempt this test, Chiron proves how fearsome its total power package really is. Yes, Pagani and Koenigsegg are faster than ever these days. But they are not — as of today — able to safely replicate what Chiron can do. And could repeat All. Day. Long.
This is nearly 2G on gravity force on the descent, for the record — approaching what the human body can even handle.
This is the first of many world records Bugatti plans to attempt — and likely achieve — in the coming year. Power up, Ferrari and Porsche! You are miles behind.
2017 Bugatti CHIRON – 42 Seconds Record Holder
- 41.96 seconds for acceleration from a standstill to four hundred kilometres per hour and braking to a standstill
- The fastest time ever reached and officially measured for this driving manoeuvre for a production vehicle throughout the world
- Bugatti confirms the exceptional position of the Chiron in terms of acceleration and braking and its leading role in the extreme performance range
- World record set by Juan Pablo Montoya, winner of the Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix, two-time winner of the Indy 500 and three-time winner of the Daytona 24 Hours
- Montoya: “It is really impressive how stable and consistent the Chiron is. Its acceleration and braking are simply incredible.”
- For 0-400-0 km/h (0-249-0 mph), the Chiron only needed a distance of 3.112 kilometres
- The test run was supervised and officially certified by SGS-TÜV Saar
- 0-400-0 record is the first step to a new world speed record for production vehicles planned by Bugatti for 2018
- Bugatti President Wolfgang Dürheimer: “300 of the limited series of 500 Chiron have already been sold. The success story of this exceptional super sports car continues.”
Tom Burkart is the founder and managing editor of Car-Revs-Daily.com, an innovative and rapidly-expanding automotive news magazine.
He holds a Journalism JBA degree from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Tom currently resides in Charleston, South Carolina with his two amazing dogs, Drake and Tank.
Mr. Burkart is available for all questions and concerns by email Tom(at)car-revs-daily.com.