The 2016 range will be Jaguar USA’s freshest ever! The all-new XE, fresh XF and tweaked XJ will finally align nicely against BMW. The XE is certainly an exciting contender, and XJ LED updates more than welcome. Atop all that slinky style and hotness? The 2017 F-PACE crossover that should arrive mid-year for autumn 2016!
The real volume player, we predict, will continue to be the XF. And this vehicle is massively new for 2016.
There’s barely a part carried over, despite the familiar look. Headlining the changes is a partial swap to aluminum for key underbody sections, with a weight loss of nearly 400 pounds in some specs versus the existing XF. A fresh engine family at the bottom of the range will make it over to the US, but the power details are not yet available. For stateside buyers, two levels of 3.0-liter supercharged six power and available AWD are the meat of the XF line until an XF-R for 2017.
The UK specs and price lists below detail a huge range of diesels… which is the photo car in R-Sport trim. While R-Sport as a name and style is sweet, it is actually just for the smaller engines. Think of this as M Sport versus the full beans. For now, “S” is still the letter to go for on the XF to get sport style and speed.
The UK 3.0i S/C XF-S promises 380-horsepower and even a manual transmission for the first time.
We roamed through the 2016 UK XF configurator as a preview of the features available, and came away impressed! Love the black pack, 17 color choices and a dozen wheels. A few styles of dark alloys join the lookbook.
On that subject… the standard lighting runs quad projectors with updated white LEDs. The full LED lamps are an estimated $2k option based on their UK price, but seem worth it for the massive style freshness up front.
The design is brought to a more current place with near seamless profile surfacing and a clean glasshouse.
The tail is a big question mark. It looks massively over-lit. So much red blocky plastic to outline the slim, F-Type shaped light pipes within.
But who knows. Perhaps better in the flesh, and certainly will help Jaguar make 2016 a banner year! Especially if they send over a triple black one like this for us to drive…. =]
2016 Jaguar XF
- The all-new Jaguar XF: lighter, more efficient and packed with technology
- All-new XF available to order now, priced from £32,300.00 in UK
- Unrivalled refinement, dynamics and design
- Aluminium-intensive architecture enables class leading weight: 80kg lighter than the competition*
- The lowest CO2 emissions of any non-hybrid model in the segment: 104g/km / 70.6MPG combined fuel economy
- New manual transmission
- Elegant, progressive design combines short overhangs and outstanding proportions with exceptional aerodynamic efficiency: Cd 0.26
- Segment-leading for rear seat space: row-two occupants gain 15mm more legroom, 24mm more kneeroom and up to 27mm more headroom
- All-new 10.2-inch touchscreen infotainment system – InControl Touch Pro – offers door-to-door navigation, seamless iOS and Android connectivity, and 17-speaker, 825W Meridian digital surround sound
- Reconfigurable 12.3-inch TFT instrument cluster features four visual themes and full-screen navigation display
- Powertrains from 163PS Ingenium diesel and six-speed manual to 380PS V6 supercharged petrol and eight-speed automatic transmission
- Double-wishbone and Integral Link suspension deliver exceptional ride comfort, handling, and unrivalled refinement
- All-Surface Progress Control enables smooth, effortless drive-away on low-friction surfaces such as snow and ice – all the driver has to do is steer
- The all-new XF offers a host of additional technology including full-LED headlights, a laser head-up display which delivers high-contrast colour images, autonomous emergency braking, adaptive cruise control with queue-assist, lane keep-assist, intelligent speed limiter and semi-automated parking
*Ingenium four-cylinder 2.0-litre diesel 163PS
The all-new Jaguar XF
The all-new Jaguar XF brings an unrivalled blend of design, luxury, technology and efficiency to lead the business car segment, underpinned by class-leading driving dynamics and refinement and impressive total cost of ownership.
The dynamic, coupé-like design is formed around Jaguar’s aluminium-intensive architecture and combines the outstanding proportions, elegant surfaces and perfect lines which define all Jaguar cars, with a longer wheelbase, more interior space and exceptionally low aerodynamic drag yet in a lower and shorter body than the car it replaces.
The cabin is a seamless blend of contemporary luxury materials and finishes, traditional Jaguar craftsmanship and state-of-the art technology, with features such as a reconfigurable 12.3-inch TFT instrument cluster, laser head-up display and the InControl Touch Pro premium infotainment system – the all-new XF is the most connected Jaguar ever.
“I believe the all-new XF is the best looking car in its class. Elegant, handsome and with proportions that imbue a great sense of integrity – the all-new XF is true to the great tradition of sporting Jaguar saloons while being completely of its time.”
Ian Callum, Director of Design, Jaguar
The 2007 XF was a radical step forward for Jaguar – and for the business car segment. Combining a sleek, coupé-like exterior and a luxurious interior, it set the class benchmark for aesthetics and driving dynamics.
Features such as the rotary shift controller, rotating air vents and phosphor blue ambient lighting set the cabin apart from the competition and made the XF a highly desirable, aspirational vehicle. It was like nothing Jaguar had ever made before, and like nothing the competition could offer. The XF went on to become the most-awarded Jaguar ever.
The all-new XF retains its predecessor’s core attributes, but uses Jaguar’s aluminium-intensive architecture to enable weight savings of up to 190kg – making the 163PS diesel model 80kg lighter than the nearest competitor – plus an increase in torsional stiffness of up to 28 per cent. The architecture also delivers dramatic improvements in packaging and the proportions so essential to Jaguar design.
The all-new XF is 4,954mm long: at 2,960 the wheelbase is 51mm longer than before, the front overhang 66mm shorter. Though 7mm shorter and 3mm lower than the original XF, rear seat space is class-leading thanks to 15mm more legroom, 24mm more kneeroom and up to 27mm more headroom than before. Aerodynamics are also superior: the drag coefficient drops from 0.29 to just 0.26.