As you get ready to head out for a trip and place your car in storage, you need to know that you cannot just set it and forget it. In fact, there are multiple steps you need to take to ensure your car runs properly when you return.
While it is possible to allow your vehicle to sit for several weeks without any damage to it, it is not often advised, especially if you are not certain you will be back within a certain time frame. The longer you allow the car to sit, the more likely the fuel will separate, and the fluids will evaporate, leaving you with a mess on your hands, if you are not prepared.
Below, we will discuss what you need to do to prepare your car properly for a long-term storage area.
Remember, the longer you plan to store your care, the more you will need to do on this list. If you do plan to store your car for more than a year, you will need to prepare it a lot more to ensure that it is not going to corrode or deteriorate over that time. In fact, it is best to get professional advice when storing for more than a year at a time.
What to Do to Your Vehicle BEFORE Long-Term Storage
- Top off the engine coolant and make sure that you used a 50/50 antifreeze to water ratio
- Change the engine oil and filter
- Wash the car on the exterior and clean out the interior as a precaution
- Fill up the gas tank and add a fuel stabilizer to it
- Block off any entrances or holes to the car to keep out critters
- Drive the vehicle to get the new oil and stabilizer flowing
- Lubricate and grease any areas of the car you can
- Use a tight-fitting car cover to protect the vehicle
- Inflate your tires to their recommended PSI
- Keep the battery charged or use a battery tender
If you plan to store your car for more than 90 days, it is recommended that you completely remove the battery and utilize a battery tender on it. It is also recommended that you use jack stands and remove the tires from the vehicle to prevent any flat spots.
Keep Your Car in GREAT Condition
Storing your car long-term is possible, especially if you prepare and follow the proper steps to prepare it. Coming home to a well-preserved and cared for car takes the cake and saves you a lot of time and money.
Featuring the Rolls-Royce Dawn
CRD Auto Industry Insider may contain helpful and on-topic partner content that auto enthusiasts and car shoppers find valuable.