This Auburn 115 Speedster would have made Jay Gatsby’s yellow Rolls-Royce look like a city bus by comparison. Just two seats, roadster cockpit with aero windshield in twin planes, plus a boattail rear end that makes its giant hood even more prominent.
Fast has a mascot in the roaring twenties, and it was this Auburn.
Kiawah 2016 – 1928 AUBURN 8-115 Speedster
Tom Burkart is the founder and managing editor of Car-Revs-Daily.com, an innovative and rapidly-expanding automotive news magazine.
He holds a Journalism JBA degree from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Tom currently resides in Charleston, South Carolina with his two amazing dogs, Drake and Tank.
Mr. Burkart is available for all questions and concerns by email Tom(at)car-revs-daily.com.
You May Also Like:
- RM Monaco 2016 – 1928 Bugatti Type 40 Boattail Speedster March 29, 2016, 1 pm It is hard to fathom sometimes that cars like this are sitting quietly in wealthy garages around the world. Museum-quality icon or 1993 Mercury Sable? Which shall we drive today, honey? RM Sotheby's Monaco Coinciding with the Monaco Historic Grand Prix Le Sporting Monte-Carlo, Monaco 14 May 2016 http://www.rmsothebys.com/mc16/monaco/lots/ RM Monaco 2016 - 1928 Bugatti Type 40 Boattail Speedster
- RM Auctions Monterey 2014 Preview – 1936 Auburn Eight Supercharged Speedster Is First… June 12, 2014, 1 pm 1936 Auburn Eight Supercharged Speedster So, if the Chrysler Airflow Eight from the previous article is a delightful curio in the evolution of the modern family car, this Auburn Eight Supercharged Speedster will definitely get us back-on-track for sportscars. Supercars, even! This machine was one of the most powerful and rapid American cars ever made, and perhaps one of the best-handling as well. This was well before any Corvettes or even any Mustangs. Decades beforehand. Until this point, the most sporting cars were some mini Duesenburg's all the way to giant Packard's and Hudson's. This Auburn split the difference…
- Kiawah 2016 Highlights – 2016 Porsche MACAN TURBO in Sapphire Blue April 16, 2016, 9 pm Kiawah 2016 Highlights - 2016 Porsche MACAN TURBO in Sapphire Blue
- Kiawah 2016 Highlights – 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLC300 – Photo Flyaround April 16, 2016, 9 pm We wouldn't normally include a midsize crossover in the mix of concours hits out of Kiawah Island 2016. But the GLC is a real fave: real-drive, low-roof stance and air suspension available. This fairly mainstream trimline runs a 2.0-liter turbo four making 241HP and 273 pound-feet of torque to the back wheels. A nine-speed auto and a $39k base price make this a very tempting new option for buyers. No LED headlights or posh DRLs for this $47k example with its 19-inch wheels and other options, though. Kiawah 2016 Highlights - 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLC300 - Photo Flyaround
- Kiawah Concours 2016 – 1990 Jaguar R9R aka XJR-15 April 17, 2016, 5 pm This R9R Jaguar looks absolutely current next to cars 25 years younger. That might be the vehicle's huge achievment over the XJ220 that would follow this 50-unit special's production run in the early 1990s. The XJR-15 as shown here also delivered on some goals the XJ220 could not. Primarily, running a 450HP V12 midship, while the XJ220 reverted to a turbo six after the big 12-cylinder could not be fit in its giant tail section, somehow. Kiawah Concours 2016 - 1990 Jaguar R9R aka XJR-15
- Kiawah 2016 Highlights – 1992 Ferrari F40 April 18, 2016, 9 am Kiawah 2016 Highlights - 1992 Ferrari F40
- Kiawah 2016 Highlights – 1974 DeTomaso Longchamp April 18, 2016, 8 pm Here is a seriously rare exotic that influenced virtually every American car in the 1980s: the DeTomaso Longchamp. But here's the key detail: this car is a 1974. The 80s Ford Mustang and even Chevy Caprice likely thought their inspiration was a secret thanks to the Longchamp's non-imported status. But what about the Volvo 960 and even the Maserati Quattroporte of the 1980s?! Shameless copies, and now we know the origin of the epoch-defining block styling. DeTomaso's widebody, rear-drive GT coupe proportions fender details are still stunning in 2016. As is the massive cabin width and great luxury throughout. Thankyou…
- Kiawah 2016 Highlights – 1967 Ferrari 330GTC in Giallo Fly April 16, 2016, 9 pm Kiawah 2016 Highlights - 1967 Ferrari 330GTC in Giallo Fly
- Kiawah 2016 Highlights – 1984 LOTUS Esprit TURBO April 16, 2016, 10 pm Kiawah 2016 Highlights - 1984 LOTUS Esprit TURBO
- Kiawah 2016 Highlights – 1963 LOTUS Super 7 Cosworth April 18, 2016, 9 am So tiny. So elegant! The Lotus Seven in the flesh is unreal in its engineering purity and basic beauty. The cabin with basic lower seat cushions but hardbacked pieces for both perches? Or the giant, one-piece front fenders. And the elaborate, contrast-creme weatherstripping between its central body and fenders? All exquisite. Kiawah 2016 Highlights - 1963 LOTUS Super 7 Cosworth
- Kiawah 2016 – 1919 Pierce-Arrow 66A-4 Owned by Fatty Arbuckle April 18, 2016, 2 pm Imagine the showiest hypercar in the world, driven by the world's biggest movie star. Then flash back 100 years. The owner was Fatty Arbuckle and his Pierce-Arrow was just as gigantic as the Hollywood legend himself. In the flesh, this machine is absolutely gigantic. It looks like it could swat Model T's off the road without breaking a sweat. Its creme tires are a delight, too. 1919 Pierce-Arrow 66A-4 Owned by Fatty Arbuckle
- Kiawah 2016 Highlights – 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder – Ingram Collection April 18, 2016, 9 am An authenticity check is very helpful before falling in love with the first 550 Spyder you find out in the real world! And once you find that original, you have to drink in its details throughout. Smoother than a porcelain lion-claw bathtub, with aircraft rivets throughout its cabin and even lightweight drilled mechanicals. Check out that handbrake! The holes reduced its total weight. The carved-out rear decklid is perhaps just as striking as the vehicle's tiny size. Between the semi-sharp rear fender-tops, the rear metal sinks deep and low to the ground. Stunning. Kiawah 2016 Highlights - 1955 Porsche…