The Kona is a pretty big deal for Hyundai. It will be expected to shift more than 100,000 units a year, we estimate, to be considered a success for the brand’s SUV mission.
In a perfect world, this machine might even kiss 200,000 units in 2019!? Can you imagine?
Or is it?
When you think of the future as seen in movies, Kona’s design will fit right in. It is a post-apocalyptic surivor — navigating the ruins of cities with enough ground clearance not to scrape. Or to have those pesky gravel cuts in the paint — thanks to oversized plastic fender accents.
The bumpers front and rear are packed with utilitarian-future looks to their bulging plastic and internal LED lighting.
KONA takes the idea of an SUV to a pretty un-credible place. Kia Rio is really, really hard to call even a CUV or crossover. So we might as well be glad KONA at least has a taller ride height to its credit. Funky colors and contrast roofs will be a feature of this C-HR and HR-V rival.
Are shoppers clamoring? They do indeed want an SUV cheaper than Hyundai’s smallest, the Tucson, which is actually very respectable these days. Hyundai says Q1-2018 to showrooms, so February is a safe bet.
No AWD appears to even be available, or in the cards. So that will limit the Hawaiian-blend Hyundai to hot climates and markets.
KONA is the future of SUVs. Saying it and typing it helps me stay calm.
“I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords,” once said the great Kent Brockman.
2018 Hyundai KONA
2018 Kona Highlights
- Bold, fresh design elements with optional color-contrasting roof and extroverted color options
- LED headlight, taillight and daytime running light illumination signature
- 2.0-liter Atkinson Cycle 4-cylinder engine with 6-speed automatic transmission
- Standard floating touchscreen with Apple CarPlay™/Android Auto™ capability
- Available 1.6-liter turbocharged, direct-injected engine with 7-speed DCT
- Hyundai Smart Sense (HSS):
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection
- Driver Attention Warning
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Blind-Spot Collision Warning
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning
- High Beam Assist
- Premium technology availability:
- 8-inch Navigation System
- Standard Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay™
- Next generation Blue Link®
- Heads-up Display (with active pop-up display screen)
- Rain-sensing Wipers
- Wireless device charging