The new Smart twins are actually quite promising in their first major redesign since the brand was started in the late 1990s.
The microcars have been as popular as polio in the US market in their ten years on the market, so the US arrival of the on-sale-now generations to America was never a top priority. That still stands: there is no official timeframe for them to jump the pond. A November arrival in 2016 seems plausible.
We hope the ForFour will join the unloved ForTwo in the back corner of Mercedes-Benz service loaner folder. Only for clients they hate and will never work with again, obviously.
Perhaps *just* the four-door? At least until gas prices rise 3X? There is otherwise zero justification for Smart in America besides saving face on a failed brand. One that is regularly in the news when local drunks learn they can be tipped over by two guys.
Among those who love the rear-engine and park-anywhere thrills, though, the Brabus is the pick of the litter! When or if this car does arrive to America, the Brabus mods will be strictly aftermarket, perhaps sold as accessories and installed through the dealer if you are gullible, foolhardy with cash and very lucky. Otherwise, direct orders from Brabus will lock in this power and style upgrade.
2017 Smart BRABUS
- The fuel pressure has been raised by 2 bar. The air supply to the engine has been optimised.
- The springing/damping of the BRABUS Performance sports suspension are 20 percent firmer than the BRABUS sports suspension, with the anti-roll bar on the front axle reducing the roll tendency by 9%, while the ESP® has been specially adapted.
- The sports-tuned Direct-Steer system with speed-sensitive power assistance and variable steering ratio comes with a specially increased return torque for the smart BRABUS. This means that the steering gives even stronger feedback on the current grip status of the tyres, thereby improving the communication between driver and vehicle. This allows better control over the vehicle while making for enhanced driving enjoyment.
- With an up to 40 percent faster response time and shorter-legged ratios than in the 66 kW model, the twinamic 6-speed dual-clutch transmission is configured for sporty performance. It also features a Race Start function, which automatically sets the optimal rpm and clutch slip for maximum acceleration from rest. To use the Race Start function, the driver simply needs to release the brake pedal after previously depressing it and flooring the accelerator.
- The BRABUS sport exhaust system has been optimised in terms of back-pressure.
- BRABUS sport seats with upholstery in perforated nappa leather/black leather with specific grey topstitching
- BRABUS instrument panel with a material mix of man-made leather/fabric
- BRABUS dashboard instrument with cockpit clock and rev counter
- BRABUS floor mats
- Xclusive badges in mirror triangle and B-pillar
smart BRABUS fortwo
smart BRABUS fortwo cabrio
smart BRABUS forfour
Number of cylinders/arrangement
Rated output (kW/hp)
Rated torque (Nm)
NEDC consumption (l/100 km) urban/extra-urban/comb.
Combined CO2 emissions (g/km)
Acceleration 0-100 km/h (s)
Top speed (km/h)
Price from (euros)1
smart BRABUS Xclusive