Not high in the banked oval, unfortunately. Just a bit of on-camera hooning in the roads nearby. The town name of “No Limits” seemed applicable to flying past dozens of vacant track parking lots.
The changes for the 252-horsepower 2015 model are perfect updates. A new nose with a low and mean style, standard LED headlight accent blades, HID headlights for the ST2 and ST3 trim packs, and standard Rado Grey wheels.
The tail is also revised with a new rear window shape, tweaked taillamps and overall hunkered-down and butch stance. The central exhaust fighter-pipe lives — and snorts!
The cabin has updated tech and HVAC controls, plus standard backup camera.
HD Rainy-Day First Drive Review
Performance-wise, the Focus ST feels more eager than ever. The whole chassis has been retuned, with extra emphasis on the steering — which is all-new and much better. It is quick and incisive on scruff-of-the-neck cornering, but mostly just very oily and heavy like a true performance car.
In the downpour of our test day, the Focus ST was a ball of wheelspin. This can be a helpful way to learn about a car, especially a high-power front-driver.
The front wheels do spin fairly effortlessly, with no sense of axle tramp or rack windup or aggressive ESC intervention. A six-speed manual is still the only transmission, so you have control of the whole process.
Upshift to third on full throttle and it finally hooks up. The new ST feels fast. Much faster than its carry-over engine outputs would suggest. This may be Ford protecting the upcoming-to-USA Focus RS with AWD.)
So let’s say the ST is actually making 275-horsepower. From the cockpit, the Focus ST feels closer to the Golf R than the GTI on actual power outputs.
The test ST wears its Tangerine Scream paintwork proudly for its $600 option price, while this ST2 pack car has the HID headlamps, Recaro seats and loaded feature list.
On the video, I say that the LED piece is not lit when the main beams are on. This is incorrect – Please see it in both modes below.
- New 2015 Ford Focus ST makes global debut at Goodwood Festival of Speed in the United Kingdom – the perfect venue to demonstrate the significantly enhanced driving dynamics of the new model
- Updated tuning provides increased handling refinement and improved steering feel to help deliver a driving experience that is more responsive and balanced
- Beautifully crafted cockpit-like interior features ergonomic controls, Recaro seats and sports steering wheel
The 2015 Ford Focus ST makes its global debut at Goodwood Festival of Speed in the United Kingdom – the ideal venue for showcasing the enhanced driving dynamics of Ford’s global performance version of the new Focus.
“Since its debut, Focus ST has been bringing our fun-to-drive DNA to the hot hatch segment with a uniquely Ford blend of driving dynamics, performance and style,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. “Now, with improved dynamics, an updated suspension, new styling and a more sophisticated cabin, we expect the 2015 Focus ST will remain the hottest hatch worldwide.”
Focus ST will benefit from technology and craftsmanship first revealed earlier this year for the new Ford Focus – the world’s best-selling global nameplate. Ford introduced the first Focus ST in 2002; since then, more than 140,000 examples have been sold in more than 40 countries worldwide.
Refinements for the upgraded 2015 Focus ST include:
- Redesigned, sportier front and rear fascias
- HID headlamps standard with ST2 and ST3 trim levels with Recaro seats
- Standard LED signature lighting
- 18-inch Rado Gray alloy wheels standard
- Available new 18-inch alloy wheel design with red painted brake calipers
- New exterior color, Magnetic Metallic, replaces Ingot Silver
- Two over-the-top stripe choices now available – Satin Black and High Gloss Red, stripes come with matching mirror skull caps
- Redesigned instrument panel center stack with improved climate controls and new finishes
- New center console with more storage space including a new media bin with USB smart charging port, which charges two times faster than previous USB port
- Updated front door storage with cupholders
- New flat-bottom steering wheel to provide extra leg clearance for the driver
- Available heated steering wheel
- Available eight-way power driver’s seat
- Revised steering for improved feel
- Rear view camera standard
2015 Ford Focus ST – Tech Specs
|Construction||Unitized steel body|
|Final assembly||Michigan Assembly Plant, Wayne, Michigan|
|POWERTRAIN AND CHASSIS|
|Type||High-output 2.0-liter turbocharged EcoBoost® I-4|
|Configuration||Aluminum block and head|
|Valvetrain||DOHC, four valves per cylinder, twin independent variable camshaft timing|
|Bore x stroke||3.44 x 3.27 in|
|Displacement||122.0 cu. in./1,999 cc|
|Horsepower||252 @ 5,500 rpm1|
|Torque||270 lb.-ft. @ 2,500 rpm1|
|Fuel||87 octane (minimum)/91+ (recommended)|
|Fuel capacity||12.4 gallons|
|Fuel delivery||Gasoline direct injection|
|Oil capacity||5.7 quarts with filter (SAE 5w-30)|
|Emission control||Three-way catalyst|
|Federal emissions||Tier 2 Bin 5/LEV II|
|California||ULEV II/LEV II|
|Layout||Front-wheel drive, enhanced torque vectoring control|
|with cornering understeer control|
|Type||Front: Independent MacPherson strut (gas-charged) with reverse-L lower control|
|arms, coil springs, 25-mm stabilizer bar|
|Rear: Independent short-and long-arm system with one upper and two lower control|
|arms, gas-charged shocks, coil springs, 22-mm stabilizer bar|
|Type||Variable-ratio rack-and-pinion, electric power-assisted steering|
1 Figures achieved using 93-octane premium unleaded gasoline
|2015 FORD FOCUS ST|
|Type||Power-assisted four-wheel discs with four-sensor, four-channel anti-lock braking|
|system with performance, low-metallic brake pads and three-mode AdvanceTrac®|
|electronic stability control|
|TIRES AND WHEELS|
235/40YR18 Goodyear® Eagle F1 asymmetric summer compound, 18-inch Rado Gray painted aluminum
DIMENSIONS (inches unless otherwise noted)
|Front hip room||53.9|
|Front shoulder room||55.6|
|Rear shoulder room||52.6|
|WEIGHTS AND CAPACITIES|
|Cargo volume||23.8 behind second row, 44.8 behind first row|
|Maximum towing||Not recommended|
|BASE CURB WEIGHT|
|Manual transmission||3,223 lbs.|