The GMC Hummer EV is arguably one of the most hotly-anticipated EV offerings of 2023. But other than sightings of various prototypes and an initial virtual unveiling that GMC did last year, we were left wondering about some of the more essential items, including formal range between charges. Thankfully, GMC Vice President Duncan Aldred helped shed some new light on the matter during a conference call with assembled media earlier today.
Hummer EV Slated To Get 329 Miles Of Range
An essential slice of information that came out of today’s phone call is that the Hummer EV can achieve 329 miles of range between charges when equipped with the largest battery pack and the three electric motors. That’s a very impressive figure for a vehicle weighing over 9,000 lbs, and it still manages to outshine the lighter Ford F-150 Lightning, which gets 300 miles of range when its battery pack is filled.
But that figure is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, with GMC also revealing that future models will have a range that’s even higher than 329 miles. We suspect that this will be partly due to the single and dual electric motor configurations and the deletion of some of the equipment to help slice excess weight. Look for these figures to also mesh with the SUV version though buyers will have to wait a bit longer before they get a chance to drive that one.
Hummer Reservations Surpassing GMC’s Expectations
In addition to the impressive range numbers, Aldred also revealed that the entire Hummer lineup had recorded over 60,000 reservations, with the bulk of them going to the pickup (the SUV takes up the remaining 30 percent.) GMC revealed some time ago that Edition 1 would be leading the first wave of orders. As such, it should come as no surprise that nearly 80 percent of these reservations are for the range-topping super truck (The remaining 20 percent is the remaining trim levels.)
This is a solid showing for the Hummer range. It also serves as a very vivid reminder of how successful GMC’s marketing campaign has been in promoting some of the inner charms and virtues of the Hummer EV lineup.
When Will My EV Arrive?
If you’re one of the 125,000 or so buyers that already logged in their reservation, Aldred revealed that the first production units of the pickup will begin making their way to dealerships this December, with the Edition 1 model making up the majority of the production run for 2022. The remaining models will roll off the assembly line a year later, with the SUV version following suit shortly after.
This means that some reservation holders will have a long wait before it’s their turn to get their EV. Still, GMC guarantees that every early adopter will get their Hummer, so patience will indeed be a virtue, especially when you get the opportunity to park it in your driveway to show off to your friends.
Carl Malek has been an automotive journalist for over 10 years. First starting out as a freelance photographer before making the transition to writing during college, his work has appeared on numerous automotive forums as well as websites such as Autoshopper.com.
Carl is also a big fan of British vehicles with the bulk of his devotion going to the Morgan Motor Company as well as offerings from Lotus, MG, and Caterham. When he is not writing about automobiles, Carl enjoys spending time with his family and friends in the Metro Detroit area, as well as spending time with his adorable pets.