This was the magnificent time in top-drawer auto racing where the wedge came to life. Sideways on track, spitting flames from their open rear ends!
It was intuitive, low-tech aero. But race-proven and glorious to behold, then as now.
The LMP1 and SPider descriptors above are ours – the car actually competed in primarily North American Can-Am races, we believe. But the sentiment and bleeding-edge tech certainly makes it LeMans worthy — whatever the classes were dubbed in 1977.
Coinciding with the Monaco Historic Grand Prix
Le Sporting Monte-Carlo, Monaco
14 May 2016
RM Monaco 2016 – 1977 Chevron B36 LMP1 Spider
Tom Burkart is the founder and managing editor of Car-Revs-Daily.com, an innovative and rapidly-expanding automotive news magazine.
He holds a Journalism JBA degree from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Tom currently resides in Charleston, South Carolina with his two amazing dogs, Drake and Tank.
Mr. Burkart is available for all questions and concerns by email Tom(at)car-revs-daily.com.
You May Also Like:
- RM Monaco 2016 – 1977 MV Agusta 750S America March 29, 2016, 1 pm This is beyond even the rush of speed, the sun in your face and a mechanical symphony down below. This MV Augusta 750S America has crossed over -- into true art. It may be recalled as one of the purest expressions in all of 20th-century design and engineering. RM Sotheby's Monaco Coinciding with the Monaco Historic Grand Prix Le Sporting Monte-Carlo, Monaco 14 May 2016 http://www.rmsothebys.com/mc16/monaco/lots/ RM Monaco 2016 - 1977 MV Agusta 750S America
- RM Monaco 2016 – 1971 March 711 F1 Car – Scored Second-Place in Monaco Gran Prix April 11, 2016, 11 am What March lacks today in brand recognition, it more than made up for in its prime via engineering brilliance. You even get that sense looking at this F1 racer today. Its aero is intense, but not a defining element of the car. The glory in the March 711 would be mostly left to driver skill. Massive rubber all around was the key to rapid corner exits for this car, much more than its primitive wings in the nose and tail. The oval aero plane in front earned the nickname Spitfire as well as 'tea tray' out on the GP circuit.…
- Mecum 2016 – 1977 Ford BRONCO SPORT 5.0 Roadster in White/Blue January 20, 2016, 9 pm The truck that launched a million model toys? This Bronco Sport Roadster! Mecum 2016 - 1977 Ford BRONCO SPORT 5.0 Mecum Auctions Lot T153// Kissimmee 2016 // Jan 15-24 1977 Ford Bronco Fuel Injected 5.0L, Automatic
- RM Monaco 2016 – 1969 MG MGC GTS Sebring April 11, 2016, 11 am Generally speaking, the more acronyms after a car's name the better. It usually means it is some rare, high-performance variant that may or may not have even been road-legal. And the best possible indication that speed is a sure thing? If that long name ends with a famous racetrack! Think 599 GTB Fiorano, 365GTB/4 Daytona... This MGC GTS Sebring is the most intense MG we've ever laid eyes on! The black and gold livery is lovely, as is the widebody, wide rubber and wide-open throttle in this featherweight slugger. 1969 MG MGC GTS Sebring RM Sotheby's Monaco…
- RM Monaco 2016 Preview – 1948 Tucker 48 April 29, 2016, 7 am The only Tucker in Europe is headed for auction in the next few weeks. This car is an icon. Triple headlights with cornering functionality, a boxer six engine up front, independent suspension all around and even a four-speed transmission! A sports sedan 20 years before the term would gain meaning. Six exhausts out back and even brake cooling intakes on the rear fenders? Yep. Tucker was ahead of his time, and the fact that just 50 of his creations would be made is a crying shame. This car in blue looks about as nice as they come. RM Monaco…
- 2016 Toyota GAZOO Racecars & Series Preview – New TS050 LMP1 Revamp, WRC Yarii +… February 6, 2016, 4 pm Toyota Motorsport GmbH is now Toyota GAZOO Racing -- with the new Euro-based entity bringing much of Toyota and Lexus' racing efforts under one roof. The 2016 season outline is mindboggling! Lots of new racecars and globetrotting race series. We have a look at new rally cars: -- Land Cruiser rally truck -- Yaris WRC -- Yaris GRMN -- GT86 And new endurance racers in the form of two upgraded Lexus RC's, a GT86 and even a new Nurbirgring entry for this year: the C-HR Racing. No sight of this production version of the concept seen in 2015,…
- RM Monaco 2016 – 1965 Porsche 911 Art Car 007 By Peter Klasen April 7, 2016, 11 am Vivid airbrushing, wild colors and a vaguely sexualized -- yet also high-tech and militaristic -- themes pop from every side of this 1965 Porsche 911. The one-off art car will cross the block in Monaco, celebrating Peter Klasen's remarkable career as an artist since his birth in 1935. The 007 911 will not be to everyone's taste, and has a strong late-80s vibe to some of its imagery. The importance and originality of this piece as rolling artwork, however, should still see at least a $300k premium over a similar 911 from this era. The race-prep seats, bodywork and…
- RM Monaco 2016 – 1993 Alfa Romeo RZ by Zagato April 11, 2016, 11 am The Roadster Zagato is perhaps even more unique and special than its SZ (Sprint Zagato) hardtop sibling! The styling is truly otherworldly for a production model. Performance was pretty brisk, too. A 210HP V6 drove the back wheels via a five-speed transaxle, ensuring good traction and weight distribution. 1993 Alfa Romeo RZ by Zagato RM Sotheby's Monaco 14 May 2016 1993 Alfa Romeo RZ by Zagato Without Reserve Chassis no. ZAR16200003002164 Serial no. 145 Engine no. AK5150100138 Photo Credit: Tim Scott ©2016 Courtesy of RM Sotheby's Type ES-30. 210 bhp, 2,959 cc DOHC V-6 engine with electronic fuel injection,…
- RM Monaco 2016 – 2004 Aston Martin DB AR1 by Zagato March 29, 2016, 1 pm There are no words deeper than this Beluga black Aston DB AR1. RM Sotheby's Monaco Coinciding with the Monaco Historic Grand Prix Le Sporting Monte-Carlo, Monaco 14 May 2016 http://www.rmsothebys.com/mc16/monaco/lots/ 2004 Aston Martin DB AR1 by Zagato
- RM Monaco 2016 Preview – 1990 Riva Ferrari 32 December 27, 2015, 8 pm Image a gorgeous Italian speedboat with not one Ferrari V8 screaming out 400-horsepower, but a pair of them! Derestricted and barely muffled, these growling engines form a very enticing basis for famed ski and surf boatmaker Riva. The collabo was between Riva and Ferrari Engineering, as close to the F1 and Groupe B skunkworks as it got in Maranello and the greater Emilia-Romagna home base of Ferrari. Vmax is said to be around 60 knots, or about 75-mph at full chat across the marble-like Lake Cuomo surface? LIke a dream come true, really, with a dashing design and carbon-fiber…
- 1970 Fiat 850 Spiaggetta by Michelotti – RM Monaco 2016 Preview April 15, 2016, 8 pm Want to ensure exclusivity for your new harborside Fiat? Build only eighty in total, and sell them to counts and royals up and down the Riviera! The goal of the 850 Spiaggetta was the update the classic Fiat Jolly ethos with modern aesthetics and performance. The tail of this wicker-cabined cruiser is perhaps its most avante-garde and influential part. Check out the pinched inner tail and circular lamps! These would directly inspire the Ferrari Mondial, among others. 1970 Fiat 850 Spiaggetta by Michelotti Without Reserve Chassis no. 100GB 1290331
- RM Monaco 2016 – 1984 Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 Evolution 1 Group B March 29, 2016, 1 pm Fabulous Pug and beautiful livery -- this may be a top earner for all-time Peugeots at auction. RM Sotheby's Monaco Coinciding with the Monaco Historic Grand Prix Le Sporting Monte-Carlo, Monaco 14 May 2016 http://www.rmsothebys.com/mc16/monaco/lots/ 1984 Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 Evolution 1 Group B