Updated with a dozen new photos 8.16.15
Any sighting of the upcoming Acura NSX is more than welcome — especially when showcasing a bunch of sexy exterior options to make the style even more intense.
But this Quail visit is a mixed blessing. Undoubtedly planned when Acura thought the car would be closer to production… the Quail showing comes as we learn that the car is delayed until Spring 2016.
And that is when production is set to start. Unfortunately to report, this means cars may not be in first buyer hands until next summer.
As tough as that news is, it does bode well for the car’s overall handling, power and speed.
Honda and Acura engineers have always made it clear that the car must be right from day one. This is their flagship, and they are taking zero chances with a premature launch. The complex power systems are certainly a daunting engineering prospect, and the extra time is likely to make the new NSX even better.
So, tough news… but overall a good thing. And certainly soothed by a look at the car inside and out in two colors.
2016 Acura NSX Carbon Options
On display at The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering was a trio of all-new NSX models, two of which were shown for the first time. As the first build-to-order vehicle for Acura, the all-new NSX will feature an extensive array of factory-installed options. The following features and options were displayed at the prestigious event:
|Exterior Features and Options*|
|Exterior Color||Valencia Red Pearl||Nouvelle Blue Pearl||Berlina Black|
|Exterior Package||n/a||Carbon Exterior Package: carbon fiber front spoiler, side sills, rear diffuser and exhaust finisher||Carbon Exterior Package: carbon fiber front spoiler, side sills, rear diffuser and exhaust finisher|
|Engine Cover||n/a||NSX Carbon Engine Cover: carbon fiber front, side and rear engine covers||NSX Carbon Engine Cover: carbon fiber front, side and rear engine covers|
|Roof||n/a||Carbon Roof||Carbon Roof|
|Brakes||Black Brake Calipers with Ceramic Rotors||Silver Brake Calipers with Ceramic Rotors||Black Brake Calipers with Ceramic Rotors|
|Wheels||NSX Signature Y-Spoke Wheels||NSX Exclusive Interwoven Wheels||NSX Signature Y-Spoke Wheels|
|Rear Spoiler||Body-Colored Rear Decklid||Body-Colored Rear Decklid||Body-Colored Rear Decklid|
|Interior Features and Options*|
|Interior Package||n/a||Interior Carbon Sports Package: carbon fiber meter visor, steering garnish, aluminum foot rest and sport pedals||Interior Carbon Sports Package: carbon fiber meter visor, steering garnish, aluminum foot rest and sport pedals|
|Seats||Leather and Alcantara Power Sports Seats||Leather and Alcantara Power Sports Seats||Leather and Alcantara Power Sports Seats|
|Headliner||Black Alcantara Headliner||Black Alcantara Headliner||Black Alcantara Headliner|
|Technology Package||ELS Studio Audio and Technology Package: 9-speaker ELS Studio® Premium Audio, Acura Navigation System, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio and AcuraLink®, front and rear parking sensors||ELS Studio Audio and Technology Package: 9-speaker ELS Studio® Premium Audio, Acura Navigation System, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio and AcuraLink®, front and rear parking sensors||ELS Studio Audio and Technology Package: 9-speaker ELS Studio® Premium Audio, Acura Navigation System, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio and AcuraLink®, front and rear parking sensors|
The next-generation Acura NSX is produced at the new, dedicated Performance Manufacturing Center (PMC) in Marysville, Ohio, using domestic and globally sourced parts. With trial production already underway and production start-up scheduled for spring 2016, this world-class manufacturing facility employs groundbreaking techniques in weld, body construction, body painting, final assembly and quality confirmation to ensure the highest levels of precision and craftsmanship.
More details on the unique and innovative manufacturing processes at the PMC will be rolled out over the months leading up to the start of production, but the following highlights of the new facility were shared during the 2015 Monterey Automotive Week:
- Innovative blend of people and technology: throughout the PMC, NSX production is centered around the skills of approximately 100 experienced engineers and technicians building the NSX to precise levels of quality and craftsmanship.
- All-glass quality confirmation center: A total quality approach to production is evident not only in the mindset of every PMC technician, but in the very design of the facility, with an all-glass quality confirmation center located in the middle of the manufacturing floor. This allows for technicians from every department to monitor all aspects of a vehicle as it moves through the entire production process.
- World’s first weld technology: the world’s first use of all robotic MIG welding employs eight robots to apply approximately 900 MIG welds. This surgical welding process results in a space frame that is incredibly precise, in addition to being ultra rigid and lightweight.
- Craftsmanship: hand craftsmanship complements high tech robotic processes throughout the assembly of the NSX:
- Every bolt on the NSX is hand started by a PMC technician
- Exterior body panels are installed manually at the end of assembly and from the inside out to ensure 100 percent symmetrical side-to-side fitment
- Lasers are used to find door hem edges, fenders and door gaps in order to install all exterior panels without requiring adjustments
- Master engine builders: the NSX’s 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 engine with dry sump is hand assembled by master builders at the nearby Anna, Ohio engine plant. Each engine takes over six hours to complete and is machine balanced.
- Each NSX power unit — engine, 9-speed dual clutch transmission with direct-drive electric motor, and front Twin Motor Unit – is bench-tested and broken-in (the engine to the equivalent of 150 driving miles) to ensure that every NSX is track-ready upon customer delivery
- The engine build process was benchmarked against some of the company’s race engine programs to ensure the highest possible quality and performance standards were achieved
For More Information
Consumer information is available at www.acura.com. To join the Acura community on Facebook, visit facebook.com/Acura. Additional media information, including pricing, features and high-resolution photography, is available at acuranews.com/channels/acura-automobiles.
Acura offers a full line of precision crafted performance-luxury vehicles through a network of approximately 270 U.S. dealers. The Acura lineup features five distinctive models – the RLX luxury flagship sedan, the TLX performance luxury sedan, the ILX sport sedan, the 5-passenger RDX luxury crossover SUV, and the seven-passenger Acura MDX, America’s all-time best-selling three-row luxury SUV. The next-generation Acura NSX mid-engine supercar will soon join the Acura lineup. Acura was recently recognized by Edmunds.com for the fourth consecutive year as leading all luxury brands in retained value after five years of ownership.
Tom Burkart is the founder and managing editor of Car-Revs-Daily.com, an innovative and rapidly-expanding automotive news magazine.
He holds a Journalism JBA degree from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Tom currently resides in Charleston, South Carolina with his two amazing dogs, Drake and Tank.
Mr. Burkart is available for all questions and concerns by email Tom(at)car-revs-daily.com.