The Blue Train Bentley heading to RM Auctions Amelia Island event is enough to put anyone in a 1930s supercar mood. This black 540K Cabriolet certainly qualifies in this low-roof, huge-length archetype of luxury cruisers able to hit massive speed. And bonus? This Merc is even a ragtop.
1935 Mercedes-Benz 500/540K Cabriolet A by Sindelfingen
14 March 2015
1935 Mercedes-Benz 500/540K Cabriolet A by Sindelfingen
Tom Burkart is the founder and managing editor of Car-Revs-Daily.com, an innovative and rapidly-expanding automotive news magazine.
He holds a Journalism JBA degree from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Tom currently resides in Charleston, South Carolina with his two amazing dogs, Drake and Tank.
Mr. Burkart is available for all questions and concerns by email Tom(at)car-revs-daily.com.
You May Also Like:
- RM Arizona 2015 Preview – 1937 Mercedes-Benz 540K Sport Cabriolet A by Sindelfingen December 17, 2014, 8 pm The 540K was one of the first supercars to prove that huge speed and mega luxury were not mutually exclusive. You can add flawless quality to the recipe as well. Just look at how the soft-top fits the windshield for evidence of Mercedes' core excellence. The 540K Sport Cabriolet was the finest car on the high-speed autobahns of Germany when it debuted. It is the natural predecessor to the SL-Class Roadsters, and established the long-hood sports-car proportions of GT supercars. This was the car for movie stars, playboys and bon vivants of all stripes. No small legacy, then, for…
- 1938 Mercedes-Benz 540K Streamliner at Amelia Island Concours [40 Photos] March 20, 2017, 7 pm The 540K Streamliner is always a delight to see and photograph. A few things to note: the machine is HUGE! It is truly enormous by all dimensions, including its width. A massive scale for a road car. The next is that this machine was as otherworldly and advanced in 1938 as it seems today. Nothing approaching such a streamlined design was ever applied to a closed, luxury grand tourer of a car. This machine excelled at a core MB trait: extreme high speed and extreme luxury. Their hotrod limos and perhaps the S-Class Coupe still embody most of…
- 2017 Mercedes-AMG C63S Cabriolet at Amelia Island [25 Photos] March 13, 2017, 3 pm Even parked up between the V12TT SL65 and S65 AMGs... this new C63 Cab has real style and presence. Massive wheels and fenders are overflowing with performance and aggression from all sides. The C63's active exhaust and Sport+ mode engage a deep, ripping bark from the exhaust was enough to draw a crowd of hooray's from the Ritz parking area. Its cabin impressed too. Far better looking than new SL... The C43 starts at $61k while the C63 is priced from $73k in the USA. 2017 Mercedes-AMG C63S Cabriolet
- 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM AMG Cabriolet – RM London Preview September 3, 2017, 1 pm This CLK DTM is a rarer version of the ultra-rare DTM hardtop. Just 80 copies of this stunning ragtop were produced -- and this racing widebody is extra WILD with no roof. Fabric folding top also makes the tall rear wing seem to stand even prouder than it does on the coupe! The full carbon tonneau cover, and seating all around adds a nice bit if racing flair to a lux hotrod for the street. When new, this machine cost near $350k and was only pre-sold to a select few in Europe. The current owner is seeking about the…
- 2015 Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG Crazy Colors Edition Makes USA Debut in Amelia Island March 17, 2015, 8 pm This G63 AMG option set took us by the eyeballs over the weekend in Amelia Island! This dark red/blue/purple shade is a flip color -- it changes from dark red to a deep indigo in different lights. This 'Galactic Beam' paint color is actually really cool on the G63 because there are so many hard corners and sharp panel changes. The blocky shape makes the color flip extra pronounced. The lower trims and roof are all a tasty gloss-black, which is actually surprisingly sexy on the big G-wagen. There are four other shades offered, and all bring an extra…
- 2017 Mercedes-Benz G550 4×4 at Amelia Island Concours [45 Photos] March 14, 2017, 12 pm Ever wanted a truck that was so outrageous it might stop traffic dead on sight? Welcome to the G-Class 4x4-squared. This G550 4x4 even upstages the G65 parked right beside it. This "normal" twin-turbo V12 G-wagen looks like a child's toy parked next to the 4x4! The G65 and this G550 are actually priced pretty similarly. The 4x4 comes in G550 and G63 variants, with this G550 coming in at about $220k. The G65 is just a few thousand more and will be MUCH quicker. But not nearly as outlandish. 2017 Mercedes-Benz G550 4x4
- RM Amelia 2015 Preview – 1960 Ferrari 400 Superamerica SWB Cabriolet February 7, 2015, 4 pm This Ferrari 400 SuperAmerica is absolutely unbelievable - it looks like it just came in from Modena this morning. Stellar. 1960 Ferrari 400 Superamerica SWB Cabriolet Amelia Island 14 March 2015 1960 Ferrari 400 Superamerica SWB Cabriolet by Pinin Farina Chassis no. 1945 SA Engine no. 1945 SA
- Amelia Island Customs – POSIES 1935 Aeroliner Sport Is One-Off ChopTop Dragster March 23, 2015, 12 pm The photos of this custom-built Posies Aeroliner do not really do the vehicle justice. In the flesh, it is impossibly long, unbelievably low and seriously seductive. Loosely based on a 1935 Ford Roadster chassis, the Posies Aeroliner is now twice as long, runs giant exposed tires up front with no fenders, and drag-racing rubber in back under its elegant bodywork. The ultra-low roofline is a true chop-top dream come true, with almost zero daylight opening and a windshield small enough to fit in your back pocket. Overall, the impact of the car is undeniable! But the style is only…
- RM Amelia Island 2015 Preview – 1968 Toyota 2000GT February 10, 2015, 7 pm The second Japanese car to join RM Auctions Amelia Island 2015 auction? The stunning and very desirable 2000GT from Toyota. 1968 Toyota 2000GT RM Auctions Amelia Island 14 March 2015 1968 Toyota 2000GT Chassis no. MF10L-10189 Engine no. 10225 Body no. 1179
- RM Amelia Island 2015 Preview – 1970 Nissan Fairlady Z 432 February 10, 2015, 6 pm It is rare to see Japanese cars in the high-dollar auction world, so this Z-car is extra special in that regard. Additionally, as what appears to be a Japanese Domestic Market model, the vehicle is officially a Nissan versus a Datsun as it was sold stateside. 1970 Nissan Fairlady Z 432 RM Auctions Amelia Island 14 March 2015 1970 Nissan Fairlady Z 432 Chassis no. PS30-00092
- RM Amelia Island 2015 Preview – 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster February 10, 2015, 8 pm How time flies in the hypercar world! Only seven short years ago, this Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster was the absolute hottest, wildest machine on four wheels. With only 156 miles since new, the original owner clearly thought highly of the car and wanted to maximize its collector potential in the future. But again just seven short years later, he or she is making room in the garage. Perhaps for one of the hypercar class of 2015? 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster RM Auctions Amelia Island 14 March 2015 2008 Lamborghini Murciélago LP640-4 Roadster Chassis no. ZHWBU47S88LA03146
- RM Amelia Island 2015 Preview – 1930 Bentley Blue Train Is Reborn! February 4, 2015, 9 pm Part mystery, part fantasy - but all legend! The Blue Train Bentley is back with this just-finished recreation of one of the most legendary Flying B's ever made. As the official RM write-up below charts, the car was created the beat one of the quickest trains on a route to France. This might seem easy today, with six-lane motorways throughout the world and pavement allowing high-speed progress for even the most unskilled drivers. But in the 1930s, the idea of averaging more than 90-mph in a car, across long distances, was pure fantasy and hyperbole. Like something right out…