Car configurators are no silly thing these days: this is serious high-commerce.
Not an Amazon.com purchase, either: people are far more demanding of the experience presented to them from before the moment they step into a car showroom these days.
For companies like Ferrari and McLaren — the configurator wars are ground zero for a battle to win these high-dollar clients.
But isn’t a test drive critical, you might ask? Yes and no.
Buyers like this often own a car for such a short period of time that the delivered model must prove itself to earn more than a three-month tenure in the garage. If you love love love it — it might stay for two years.
If you hate it? Gone in the next week – often even sold without taking a loss. And rarely, even earning a bit of profit on your low-mile beauty.
HEAR the Ferrari 458 Spider around the Balloca test track below.
…and enjoy a few of my sample configurations in the new Ferrari.com car configurator – which is specially set up for the 458 Speciale at this point.
I chose gold wheels, leather in tan for every single interior surface, and a white speedometer faceplate. I like it. Oh! And the black roof.
Not a big racing stripes fan…
The configurator usually starts your adventure in pure Rosso Corsa — which is not a bad choice either. But skip the big Ferrari shields on the fenders; we know what kind of car it is just by the engine note!
“My” 2014 Ferrari 458 Speciale
- External colours: Bianco Avus
- Livery: Nero stellato
- Roof Colour: Nero Pastello
Rims & Calipers
- Rims: 20″ Gold rims
- Brake Caliper Colour: Aluminium brake calipers
- Carbon fibre side nolders
- Titanium sport pipes
- Front bumper protection film
- Suspension lifter
- AFS System
- Spare wheel kit 20″
- Parking camera
Colours & Materials
- Interior: Cuoio
- Carpets: Coloured extracarpets with Logo
- Tunnel: Lower tunnel in leather
- Arch: Leather wheel arches
- Seat Style: Carbon fibre stile racing seat
- Driver seat adj. device: Driver seat adj. device
- Colour centre area seats+Headliner: Rosso
- Coloured steering wheel: Cuoio
- Tachometer Counter: White rev. counter
Luggage Compartment, Rear & Roof
- Trolleys + soft leather set: Rear shelf leather bags
- Accessories: Cruise Control
- Accessories: Telemetry kit
- Accessories: Track inner cams kit
- Accessories: Integrated audio system
- Accessories: Radionavi system + Bluetooth
“My” 2014 Ferrari 458 Speciale – Daytime
2014 Ferrari 458 Speciale – Rosso Corsa
“My” 2014 Ferrari 458 Speciale – Nighttime
BUILD YOUR OWN at the below or above links
Tom Burkart is the founder and managing editor of Car-Revs-Daily.com, an innovative and rapidly-expanding automotive news magazine.
He holds a Journalism JBA degree from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Tom currently resides in Charleston, South Carolina with his two amazing dogs, Drake and Tank.
Mr. Burkart is available for all questions and concerns by email Tom(at)car-revs-daily.com.