The only way out of this VW TDI mess is product. That much is clear. Product, asap!
So this latest reveal from VW is very promising. Even as just teaser images.
The specs outlined below from VW are enticing: 516-pound-feet of torque via its PHEV drivetrain. Along with 6.0-seconds to 60-mph and a top end of 139-mph.
No word on what the production intentions are for this new truck, nor the number of seats. But this Beijing Concept is a good look at a five and seven-seat medium crossover coming from all VW regions in the mid-term future.
Sliding under the Touareg, we anticipate, perhaps as a GTE version of the upcoming CrossBlue....
Watch this space for the full reveal. A variety of teaser images until then show a sleek and advanced new nose, fresh arches and roofline and some strong, flowing shoulders.
2016 Volkswagen BEIJING CONCEPT
BEIJING CONCEPT SHOWS VOLKSWAGEN’S NEW HIGH-TECH DIRECTION IN THE PREMIUM SUV SEGMENT
Apr 17, 2016
- The concept is one of the most advanced luxury SUVs in the world
- Concept moves luxury SUV design to a more sporty and elegant level
- The vehicle further demonstrates Volkswagen's continued digitilization of the automobile
- Digital operation and display system enables a completely new level of interactivity
- Active Info Display and infotainment system merge
- More than ever, the lounge-style interior and digitized operation are centered on passengers
- SUV has a plug-in-hybrid powertrain with 376 horsepower total output and 516 pound-feet of torque
- The fully electric range of the SUV is up to 50 kilometers or 31 miles
- The predicted NEDC combined fuel consumption is 78 mpg
- The concept accelerates from 0 to 62 mph in 6.0 seconds and has a top speed of 139 mph