Aston just rolled out a new special to celebrate the new James Bond film, SPECTRE, debuting this fall. For all the shared cache among Bond and Aston, we cannot recall another specifically badged Aston model with the Bond name.
This is likely down to simple licensing costs, or brand covetousness within Sony pictures.
An Aston Martin wearing 007 James Bond badges will always have a huge built-in fanbase, though, and the time is right to co-brand.
A far cry from the DB10 prototype in the film, the DB9 GT Bond Edition is still fairly special in its own right. A giant power bump in the form of new GT specs promises 550HP — and the most rapid DB9 to date. A 62-mph sprint of 4.5-seconds and top speed of 183-mph are stonking totals for the luxury-focused DB9.
A major update and upgrade inside brought the DB9 GT up to the new infotainment and electronics seen in the Vanquish. The DB9 GT Bond Edition lacks the latest eight-speed automatic from the 2016 Rapide S, unfortunately, but otherwise is bang-up-to-date with all the newest Aston tech gadgets.
Aston Martin DB10 SPECTRE movie car
These will not include machine-guns, oil slick dispensers or bulletproof rear shield a la Goldfinger.
Overall, however, the luxury of ADSII adaptive dampers and drive modes will make the DB9 GT Bond able to flip from luxury to sport as quick as Connery could smirk. Or as fast as Daniel Craig is with a scowl.
Unique carbon-fiber, black chrome and polished alloy details outside and in set the DB9 GT Bond Edition apart from previous DB9s very effectively. We still strongly prefer the new shapes and floating trunk spoiler of the Vanquish — but the DB9’s luxury positioning lets the Vanquish go even more hardcore with its chassis settings.
Will any of this matter to buyers? Not likely!
The rarity and overt 007 connection for the DB9 GT Bond cement its appeal among the millions of Bond-lovers worldwide.
In certain markets, the DB9 GT Bond can even be ordered in Volante ragtop form.
Martini lunch in Monte Carlo? Race you there!
2016 Aston Martin DB9 GT Bond Edition
ASTON MARTIN DB9 GT BOND EDITION
- Limited edition celebrates over 50 years of Aston Martin and James Bond
- New car previews the release of Spectre, the latest James Bond film
- Based on new DB9 GT – the most powerful DB9 to date with 547 PS
2 September, 2015, Gaydon: For more than half a century Aston Martin has been the sports car of choice for the world’s most famous spy, James Bond. Now, the luxury British brand is celebrating the release of Spectre with the launch of the strictly limited DB9 GT Bond Edition.
Limited to 150 examples worldwide, the highly desirable model is based on the recently launched DB9 GT. Designed to offer the best of what DB9 can be, the DB9 GT delivers world-class grand touring and hand-built excellence.
Building on these exceptional foundations, the new Aston Martin DB9 GT Bond Edition adds even greater levels of exclusivity by virtue of its limited edition build run along with a host of carefully considered trim, equipment and accessory additions that celebrate the brand’s more than 50-year association with the famous film franchise.
Subtle styling additions
The DB9 GT Bond Edition is distinguished by a subtle yet elegant selection of styling additions inside and out.
The 6.0-litre V12-engined grand tourer features unique Spectre Silver paint; sterling silver Aston Martin badges front and rear; and discreet ‘007 Bond Edition’ exterior badging.
These features build on the elegant styling of the DB9 GT which includes unique ten-spoke gloss black diamond turned 20-inch alloy wheels; bright aluminium bonnet vents, side strakes and grille; carbon fibre front splitter and rear diffuser, and grey brake calipers.
Inside, the DB9 GT Bond Edition continues its subtle homage to James Bond with unique numbered sill plaques featuring the familiar 007 logo; gun barrel embroidery on the 2+2’s rear seat divider and a special Bond Edition start-up screen on the new model’s AMi II touch-sensitive Aston Martin infotainment system.
These embellishments add to the car’s already luxurious interior environment which includes unique fluted leather; an Alcantara-wrapped steering wheel and a satin carbon fibre centre console surround.
The DB9 GT Bond Edition’s 6.0-litre V12 engine is capable of generating 547 PS at 6750 rpm, and 620 Nm of torque at 5500 rpm.
The all-alloy, quad overhead camshaft, 48-valve 5,935 cc front mid-mounted V12 is mated to the proven rear mid-mounted Touchtronic II six-speed transmission with electronic shift-by-wire control system. It carries the luxury sports car from rest to 62 mph in 4.5 seconds, and on to a top speed of 183 mph.
The all-round independent double wishbone suspension continues to deliver secure handling while the three-stage Adaptive Damping System (ADS) offers distinct Normal, Sport and Track modes for the broadest possible breadth of dynamic characteristics.
Besides its unique interior and exterior features, the DB9 GT Bond Edition offers a suite of elegant Bond-themed accessories to complement the model’s creation.
Presented in a finely-crafted 21” Globe-Trotter trolley case finished with an embossed leather luggage tag, the collector’s car also includes an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 150m James Bond Limited Edition watch complete with a unique Aston Martin strap.
Welcoming the debut of the DB9 GT Bond Edition, Aston Martin CEO Dr Andy Palmer said: “Aston Martin and James Bond are intrinsically linked in the minds of many of our enthusiasts and, indeed, owners, worldwide.
“In the run-up to the launch of the new film, Spectre, which sees Bond behind the wheel of the DB10, we are very happy to be able to celebrate the partnership with this superb limited edition DB9 GT collector’s item.”
Dr Palmer added: “I’m sure the 150 owners worldwide who succeed in acquiring one of these exceptional sports cars will, like the rest of us, delight in seeing Spectre when it is released later this year.”
The new DB9 GT Bond Edition is available to order in markets around the world from today, priced at £165,000.
About Albert R. Broccoli’s EON Productions
EON Productions Limited and Danjaq LLC are wholly owned and controlled by the Broccoli/Wilson family. Danjaq is the US-based company that co-owns, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, the copyright in the existing James Bond films and controls the right to produce future James Bond films as well as all worldwide merchandising. EON Productions, an affiliate of Danjaq, is the UK-based production company which makes the James Bond films. The 007 franchise is the longest running in film history with twenty-three films produced since 1962. Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli succeeded Albert R ‘Cubby’ Broccoli and have produced some of the most successful Bond films ever including CASINO ROYALE, QUANTUM OF SOLACE and SKYFALL. The 24th film, SPECTRE, is currently in post-production.
Aston Martin and the DB10
British luxury sports car manufacturer Aston Martin created the DB10 exclusively for James Bond to drive in the forthcoming film – Spectre. This is the first time an entirely new car has been created specifically for Bond. Production has been strictly limited to ten examples of the bespoke sports car which was developed and hand-built by the designers, engineers and artisan craftspeople at Aston Martin’s Gaydon headquarters in the UK.
2016 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
2016 Aston Martin Rapide S
Full Specification – 2016 Aston Martin DB9 GT Bond Edition
• Two-door coupe body style with 2+2 seating configuration
• Extruded bonded aluminium VH body structure
• Aluminium, magnesium alloy and composite body
• Extruded aluminium door side impact beams
• Single bi-xenon headlamps with integrated LED side lights and direction indicators
• Clear LED rear lamps
• Rear mid-mounted ‘Touchtronic 2’ six-speed transmission with electronic shift-by-wire control system
• Alloy torque tube with carbon fibre propeller shaft
• Limited-slip differential
• Final drive ratio 3.46:1
• Length: 4720mm (inc. front number plate plinth)
• Wheelbase: 2740mm
• Width: 2061mm (inc. mirrors)
• Fuel tank capacity: 78 litres (17.15 Imp.galls, 20.6 US galls)
• Height: 1282mm Weight: 1785 kg – Coupe 1890 kg – Volante
• Front: ventilated carbon ceramic discs, 398 mm diameter with six-piston monobloc calipers
• Rear: ventilated carbon ceramic discs, 360 mm diameter with four-piston monobloc calipers
• Dark anodised brake calipers
• Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with track mode
• Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
• Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
• Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
• Traction control (TC)
• Full-grain leather interior
• Piano Black facia trim with Iridium trim pack
• Alcantara steering wheel (leather for the Volante)
• GT headrest embroidery
• Electrically adjustable sports seats with side airbags
• Memory seats & exterior mirrors (three positions)
• Alcantara fluted effect headlining
• Dual-stage driver/front passenger front airbags
• Powerfold exterior heated mirrors
• Heated rear screen
• Automatic temperature control
• Organic Electroluminescent (OEL) displays
• Trip computer
• Cruise control
• Bluetooth® telephone preparation1
• Satellite navigation1,2
• Satellite radio system (USA only) 1
• Front and rear parking sensors
• Tyre pressure monitoring system1
• Alarm and immobiliser
• Remote-control central door locking and boot release
• Glass ECU
• Tracking device1,3 (UK only)
• LED map-reading lights
• 700-watt Aston Martin Premium audio system with Dolby® Pro Logic II®
• Integrated Apple iPod®,4 connector
• DAB radio
• USB Connector with Waveform Audio Format (WAF), Windows Media Audio (WMA) and MPEG (MP3) audio file compatibility
• 3.5 mm auxiliary input socket
• Gloss black painted splitter and diffuser
• Rear lamps with black border surround
• Sports exhaust
• Auto-dimming interior rear-view mirror1
• Rear Parking Assist Camera
• All-alloy, quad overhead camshaft, 48 valve, 5,935cc, V12
• Front mid-mounted engine, rear-wheel drive
• Fully catalysed stainless steel exhaust system with active bypass valves
• Max power: 540 bhp (547 PS) at 6,750 rpm
• Max torque: 620 Nm (457 lb ft) at 5,500 rpm
• Acceleration: 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 4.5 seconds
• Max speed: 295 km/h (183 mph)
Wheels & Tyres
• 10-spoke Silver Diamond Turned wheels
• Front wheel: 8.5J x 20-inch
• Rear wheel: 11J x 20-inch
• Front tyre: Pirelli P Zero 245/35 ZR20
• Rear tyre: Pirelli P Zero 295/30 ZR20
• Tyre repair kit
• Rack and pinion, servotronic speed-sensitive power-assisted steering, 3.0 turns lock-to-lock
• Column tilt and reach adjustment
• 3-stage Adaptive Damping System (ADS) with Normal, Sport and Track modes
• Front: independent double wishbones incorporating anti-dive geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube adaptive dampers
• Rear: independent double wishbones with anti-squat and anti-lift geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube adaptive dampers
• Volante body style
• 5-spoke Silver wheels
• 5-spoke Gloss Black Diamond Turned wheels
• 10-spoke Gloss Black Diamond Turned wheels
• Alternative brake caliper finish – black, red, grey and yellow
• Carbon fibre splitter and diffuser
• Carbon fibre side strakes
• Carbon fibre rear lamp infills
• Carbon fibre door handles
• Carbon fibre mirror caps and arms
• Exterior Carbon Fibre Pack (comprising mirror caps and mirror arms, side strakes, and rear lamp infills)
• Black DLO
• AM Wings headrest embroidery
• Duotone leather pack –including seat inserts, door inserts and headlining
• Heated front seats
• Auto-dimming interior rear-view mirror1
• Boot-mounted umbrella
• Optional facia trims – Ashburl Light, Piano Ice Mocha, Carbon Fibre, Cuprum Carbon Fibre
• Optional trim packs – Piano Black, Piano Ice Mocha, Carbon Fibre
• Colour keyed leather steering wheel or One-77 steering wheel
• Matching wood door trim (not available with B&O BeoSound audio system options)
• Personalised sill plaques
• 16GB USB drive
• 1000-watt Bang & Olufsen BeoSound audio system with ICEpower technology (including USB drive)
• Auto-dimming interior rear-view mirror with garage door opener 1
• Alarm upgrade (volumetric and tilt sensor)
• Satellite radio system (Canada only) (excludes subscription)1
• Tracking device (UK category five)1,3
• First-aid kit
• Trinket tray
• Satellite radio system1
• Second Glass ECU
• Fluted, micro perforated Leather headlining
• Leather ECU pouch
1 Not available in all markets
2 Includes Traffic Messaging Channel (TMC) in Continental Europe
3 Complies with UK Thatcham Category 5 requirements. Excludes subscription. Standard in UK
4 iPod is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the US and other countries