First look at the new Alfa Giulia today leaves us floored!
Romeo & Juliet appear to be in fine form these days — running sideways around 90-mph corners at the fantasy Verona racetrack!
The numbers and initial details for this production-spec GIULIA (proniunced ‘Julia’) Qaudrifoglio are mouth-watering. 510 horsepower via a twin-turbocharged V6. Rear or AWD. Torque vectoring and active aero.
Style to make you weak in the knees from up front. Fresh LED designs and a wide V have a sporty feel that vaguely recalls the Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge Concept, but is a clear step ahead of the sexiest Jaguar XE-S seen so far. Clearly more special and premium than the new C63-S. We are eager to see more.
The front splitter is a thing of beauty, however. Just a split-second look at how this piece extends downward from the bumper at speed. Super cool.
And leave you blowing kisses at its racy C-pillar rake and potent tail full of LEDs, spoilers, diffusers and exhaust pipes.
Two issues you might note in this first look:
— similarities with M3 seem uncanny around profile and tail view
— new Alfa badge is nice, but would it kill them to call it the ‘Julia’ for English-speaking markets?
On the first, the M3 competitiveness is deliberate, of course. To take down the 3 series, starting at the top M3 makes sense for Alfa.
On the second, history and legacy are leading forces at Alfa, so a name change so Americans pronounce (*and spell) it properly is probably not in the cards.
But we will see this machine. Expected arrival timeframes to the US? About a year from today to first customers. Pricing for the Quadrifoglio may kiss $70k, but the more humble models should start with $48,000 base prices.
DYNAMIC DEBUT VIDEO + EXHAUST NOTE
24 June 2015
World preview of the Alfa Romeo Giulia
- Perfect blend of the new Alfa Romeo paradigm and maximum expression of the ‘meccanica delle emozioni’, the new model encapsulates 105 years of style excellence and Italian technology.
- Its distinctive design expresses three quintessential features of Italian design: sense of proportions, simplicity and high quality surface finish.
- The new Alfa Romeo badge, now refreshed while preserving its legendary shape and unmistakable style, stands out in the middle of the famous front trefoil nose.
- The entire ‘creation’ centers around the driver and the promise of exhilarating driving experiences with sensitive steering, responsive acceleration and prompt shifting and braking.
- Rear or four-wheel drive is more than just a tribute to the most authentic roots of the Alfa Romeo legend: it is also a technical solution which guarantees high performance and astounding fun.
- State-of-the-art, innovative engines: a six-cylinder 510 HP, inspired by Ferrari technologies, the brand’s new powertrain reference, will be introduced on the Quadrifoglio version.
- Performance is thrilling: from 0 to 100 km/h in just 3.9 seconds.
- Perfect weight distribution (50/50 across the two axles), sophisticated suspensions (the front is an Alfa Romeo exclusive) and the most direct steering on the market.
- Unique, exclusive technical solutions, like Torque Vectoring for outstanding stability control, Integrated Brake System for considerably reducing braking distance and Active Aero Splitter for active high-speed downforce management.
- Alfa Romeo Giulia combines extraordinary engine performance and the ample use of ultralight materials, like carbon fibre, aluminium, aluminium composite and plastic, to obtain the best weight-to-power ratio (lower than 3kg/hp).
- The model was introduced to the international press in the renovated Alfa Romeo Museum in Arese, Italy ,which will reopen on June 30 for enthusiasts and researchers worldwide.