When you think of the top 10 AMG cars of all time, you might instantly put the red SEL racing sedan first, and we have. As the first AMG on record, it sets the tone for racing Mercedes cars for decades to come. It showed the levels the AMG team would go to upfit a Mercedes luxury sedan for the racetrack, even when far more suitable sports-cars might seem more logical to some as a base point.
You might also put the SLS in the second spot. As the first entire car engineered by AMG, it was a milestone for the brand and a huge achievement to have a gullwing Benz back in the range — for the first time since 1963.
But after that, things get a little hazy. There is much subjectivity in this list, so take it with a grain of salt. All AMG models are very special.
Mercedes-AMG – Top 10 Greatest Hits
1. 1971 Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.8 AMG Racecar
2. 2010-2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG (and SLS Black Series)
3. 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series
Why? Clarkson owned one as his daily driver. Enough said.
4. 2003-2006 Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG
5. 1978 AMG Mercedes-Benz 450 SLC AMG Racecar (and DTM racecars)
6. 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E AMG ‘Hammer’
7. 1999 Mercedes-Benz SL73 AMG
8. 1997 Mercedes-Benz E50/E55 AMG
9. 1995 Mercedes-Benz C36 AMG
10. 2009 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series
11. Everything else!
What do you think?