Best Facelift? That is not a category many would aspire to win. Certainly not Argentina’s embattled President, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, who sulked mightily in the corner of the McLaren P1 GTR launch event on Friday in Pebble Beach.
But for many luxury sedans, a great facelift can be the breath of life they need to earn new buyers and keep previous loyal owners happy at the same time.
2013’s best luxury sedan facelift would certainly go to the Mercedes-Benz E350 — a car so new-feeling that its sales have jumped mightily, but so carry-over that it is almost hard to believe a nip/uck is the only cause.
For the Q70’s new and youthful looks in 2014, this would be the equivalent to “CDF” -as- the Argentines call her — trading from a Marxist econo-boy-toy and up to global superstar polo player Nacho Figueras, also from Argentina. To give a sense of his physical attractiveness and appeal: Figueras is the new face of Ralph Lauren’s top fashion labels.
The 2015 Q70S is the sporty member of a hybrid and AWD-able model range. All look very fresh and very new, with strong elements of the new Q50’s LED DRL and turn signal designs front and rear.
The new Q70 also brings a great sense of prestige and continuity with the design of the third-gen Q45 flagship from the early 2000s.
To call it ‘just’ a successful mid
-life-cycle refresh sells this amazing machine short. New cabin and safety tech and great dynamics are more than skin-deep. With revamped looks and an extra 5.6-inches of rear legroom available in a USA-offered Q70L long-wheelbase model — the Q70 for 2015 has the right stuff to pay its bills as well as deliver exec sports-sedan thrills.
For all this and a huge wallop of power, the 420-horsepower 5.6-liter V8 is still available in the Q70.
Everything from the Audi A6 to the BMW 535i to the E-Class should watch out — the new Q70 is on the prowl.
2015 INFINITI Q70S
Figueras Photo credit: Polo Ralph Lauren
- New Infiniti Q70L Long-Wheelbase model added with 5.6 inches of additional rear seat room – available in 3.7-liter and 5.6-liter RWD and AWD configurations
- Revised exterior styling with new front and rear fascias, Infiniti signature LED headlights, taillights and fog lights, side rearview mirrors with integrated LED turn signals, and new grille design
- New sport front and rear fascias – Sport Package
- Three new exterior colors: Hermosa Blue, Chestnut Bronze and Graphite Shadow (Platinum Graphite no longer available)
- Revised interior content and trim, leatherette replaces leather on base grades
- Available Around View® Monitor with Moving Object Detection (MOD)
- Revised 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheel designs
- Forward Emergency Braking (FEB) and Backup Collision Intervention (BCI) added to Technology Package
- Offered in five Q70 models: Q70 5.6, Q70 5.6 AWD, Q70 Hybrid, Q70 3.7, Q70 3.7 AWD
- Offered in four Q70L Long- Wheelbase models: Q70L 5.6, Q70L 5.6 AWD, Q70L 3.7 and Q70L 3.7 AWD
- Expected availability in September 2014
|2015 Infiniti Q70|
|Summary||Infiniti’s flagship sedan features new exterior styling, interior refinements and a new Q70L Long-Wheelbase model for 2015. It is offered in a choice of 5.6-liter V8 and 3.7-liter V6 gasoline engines and a 3.5-liter V6/electric motor hybrid.|
|Models/grades||Five Q70 models: Q70 5.6, Q70 5.6 AWD, Q70 Hybrid, Q70 3.7, Q70 3.7 AWD|
Four Q70L Long-Wheelbase models: Q70L 5.6, Q70L 5.6 AWD, Q70L 3.7 and Q70L 3.7 AWD
|Options/Packages||Premium, Deluxe Touring, Sport, AWD Sport, Sport Touring, Technology, Performance Tire & Wheel|
|Powertrains||420-horsepower 5.6-liter DOHC 24-valve V8, 330-horsepower 3.7-liter DOHV 24-valve V6, 360-horsepower (net) Infiniti Direct Response Hybrid™ System with 3.5-liter V6, 50 kW electric motor and Lithium-ion battery|
|Drive configuration||Rear-wheel or Infiniti Intelligent All-Wheel Drive System (Q70 Hybrid rear-wheel drive only)|
|Suspension||Independent double-wishbone front, multi-link rear|
(to be confirmed)
|18/26/21 mpg 3.7L 7AT RWD|
17/24/20 mpg 3.7L 7AT AWD
29/34/31 mpg 3.5L Hybrid 7AT RWD
16/24/19 mpg 5.6L 7AT RWD
16/23/18 mpg 5.6L 7AT AWD
2015 Q70L fuel economy not yet available
|Key features||Standard Japanese Ash wood trim (available silver powdered genuine White Ash wood trim), Infiniti Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition, SiriusXM Satellite Radio (SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription required, sold separately), Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System, power sliding glass tinted moonroof and available premium audio and climate control systems|
|Key technology||Infiniti Drive Mode Selector, Active Noise Control, Blind Spot Warning (BSW), Blind Spot Intervention® (BSI), Eco Pedal, Active Trace Control, Infiniti Hard Drive Navigation System, Bose® Studio Surround® premium audio system, Intelligent Cruise Control (Full-Speed Range), Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) systems, Distance Control Assist (DCA), Intelligent Brake Assist (IBA) with Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Front Pre-Crash Seat Belts, Forward Emergency Braking (FEB) and Backup Collision Intervention (BCI)|