The Audi Q3 looks so much better in the flesh than it did in Audi’s teaser sketches from last month – what a relief!
While the car does show a bit less aggression in its proportions versus the long-hood Q7, there is enough family similarity for the Q3 to rub shoulders with BMW and Mercedes-Benz SUVs costing much, much more.
The Q3 is part of a broad new 2015 Audi A3 family of models coming to the U.S. in the next six to eight months:
— A3 four-door sedan
— S3 four-door sedan
— A3 Cabriolet
— 2015 A3 e-tron Hybrid Sportback (plug-in hybrid five-door hatch)
What this means for the Q3 is that there is almost certainly a hot S Q3 model sharing much of the S3’s extra power, style and handling.
Pricing is a question-mark, but unlikely to be anything below $29,000 as a base price (matching 2015 A3 sedan).
The Q3’s key competitors will come from the mid-size crossover class of cars like the Ford Escape and Toyota RAV4, but also from the new GLA250 Mercedes-Benz compact SUV and the refreshed 2014 BMW X1.
Pricing for these little darlings stops at about $37,000 for the Ford and Toyota, but can shoot close to $50,000 on the BMW and the new GLA45 AMG Mercedes-Benz.
Even so, the Q3 should be able to under-cut the pricing of some mid-spec BMW trims by a few thousand dollars via front-drive, small-engine setups.
The 2015 Q3, likely to be an overnight sensation in American Audi dealers when it arrives in late summer 2014.
AUDI ANNOUNCES PRICING FOR ALL-NEW 2015 AUDI Q3 CROSSOVER
– The agile Audi Q3 compact premium crossover combines coupe-like design with the utility of an SUV
– High level of standard equipment including heated, 12-way power front leather surface seats, panoramic sunroof, dual-zone automatic climate control, Xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights and Audi advanced key
– Audi Q3 joins the already successful Audi SUV family that includes the Audi Q5 and Q7
HERNDON, Va., July 31, 2014 – The Audi Q3 combines coupe-like design with the utility of an SUV, offering an excellent balance of agility and functionality. It features a standard 200 horsepower 2.0 liter TFSI® engine with a six-speed Tiptronic® transmission. The Q3 joins the highly successful Q5 and Q7 Audi SUV line-up and will go on sale this fall.
The sporty character of the Q3 is defined by its low roof line and wraparound tailgate, along with distinctive exterior lighting including Audi xenon plus and LED daytime running headlamps as well as LED taillights standard. The optional Sport package which includes sport seats, shift paddles and Audi drive select adds to the dynamic character of the Q3. The Audi drive select system allows drivers to adjust the shift points and throttle mapping of the Q3 at the touch of a button. The available legendary quattro® all-wheel drive system helps provide additional grip for those seeking a winding road or additional traction in wet and snowy conditions.
Inside, the Audi Q3 seats five passengers, has 60/40 split folding rear seats that make 48.2 cu-ft of cargo volume when folded down. Standard dual-zone automatic climate control, available power tailgate and interior LED lighting round out the interior. The Audi advanced key provides keyless access as well as keyless start/stop functionality.
The available MMI® Navigation plus with voice control utilizes a 7.0 inch display and adds a color display to the driver information system located in the instrument cluster. The MMI Navigation Plus features the award-winning Audi connect® infotainment system (included in Prestige model), which includes in-vehicle Wi-Fi connectivity for up to eight wireless devices for passengers. Audi connect also provides Google Earth™ maps for a true aerial view of roads and the surrounding area. A 14-speaker, 465 watt Bose Surround Sound System is also part of the Prestige model offering to satisfy audiophile needs.
The Audi Q3 offers an excellent balance of performance and functionality for the urban outdoors.
Audi Q3 MSRP* excluding transportation, taxes, title:
Audi Q3 Premium Plus, FWD: $32,500
Audi Q3 Premium Plus, quattro: $34,600
Audi Q3 Prestige, FWD: $36,400
Audi Q3 Prestige, quattro $38,500
* Transportation charge is $925.00
– End –
Audi of America, Inc. and its U.S. dealers offer a full line of German-engineered luxury vehicles. AUDI AG is among the most successful luxury automotive brands globally. The Audi Group delivered 1,575,500 vehicles to customers globally in 2013, and broke all-time company sales records for the 4th straight year in the U.S. Through 2018, AUDI AG will invest about $30 billion on new products, facilities and technologies. Visit www.audiusa.com
Official Details below from Audi
Audi enters the premium compact class of SUVs with the sporty and versatile new 2015 Q3
• Q3 will join the already successful family of Audi SUVs that includes the Q5 and Q7
• Q3 showcases many of the luxury and technology features found in the full-size vehicles offered by Audi
• Available Fall of 2014 with a 200 hp 2.0-liter TFSI® engine and front-wheel drive and available Audi quattro® all-wheel drive
The new 2015 Audi Q3 will arrive in the U.S. in the Fall of 2014 and will join the already successful lineup of Audi SUVs that includes the Q5 and Q7. It will make its U.S. debut at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit on January 13th. The Q3 is a premium, compact SUV that pairs coupe-like looks with the utility of a SUV. Its quality engineering and advanced features offer ideal performance and functionality, but also advanced technology and driving dynamics.
“Coming off the recent A3 family announcement we are now for the first time entering into the premium compact class of SUVs with the introduction of the Audi Q3 into our line-up,” said Scott Keogh, President, Audi of America. “Our growing SUV family will now offer three distinct products in the premium SUV category; and like the successful Q5 and Q7, the Q3 will continue with the established standards they started with regards to utility, technology, craftsmanship and performance.”
The Audi Q3 comes generously appointed with a long list of standard equipment, including:
• 200 hp 2.0-liter TFSI® engine with six-speed Tiptronic® transmission
• Panoramic sunroof with power retractable sunshade
• Audi xenon plus front lighting with LED DRLs and taillights
• Heated, 12-way power front seats
• Leather seating surfaces
• Audi advanced key
Design and Body
The Audi Q3 model’s coupe-like lines are an expression of its sporty character. This is demonstrated by:
• Low roof line, flat D-pillars, and a wraparound tailgate
• Distinctive exterior lighting
• Sharply drawn lines on the flanks frame athletically arched sheet metal surfaces – the defining shadow contour is the Tornado line
• The housings of the side mirrors sport LED turn signals
• Both the hood and tailgate are made of aluminum
• The signature, wedge-shaped headlights house xenon plus lighting and LED daytime running lights, which are combined with LED taillights, all standard
• The available power tailgate opens electrically, including via the remote key fob, and swings up to accommodate the spacious cargo area