Update1 – With Colors!
The Chevy Sonic RS is by far the coolest and sportiest in the Sonic compact lineup from Chevy. A relatively unexpected hit with buyers, the Sonic line from about $15,000 comes as standard with a naturally-aspirated 1.8-liter engine.
Uplevel trims bring the much quicker, much more tune-able and slightly more powerful on-paper 1.4-liter Turbocharged engine upgrade.
With the RS package, the Sonic Sedan now benefits from the RS Hatchback’s exclusive style, handling and equipment enhancements. All good news – and great to see the sedan benefit from some cool style. This is an area where the Ford Fiesta sedan is still extremely uncool – making the Sonic RS four-door a stand-out with its pricing from about $20,000 with almost everything standard.
The 2015 Sonic models are tipped to arrive as soon as August to US showrooms nationwide, with the Dusk LTZ package a month or two later.
2015 Sonic LTZ Dusk pack
The 2014 Sonic RS includes the components of LTZ and adds these RS-specific features:
1.4L turbocharged engine
6-speed manual transmission with performance oriented gear ratios
Chevrolet MyLink† with 7-inch diagonal screen
4-wheel disc brakes
Sport exhaust with chrome outlet
6 premium speakers
Pandora® Internet Radio and Stitcher SmartRadio™† compatibility
17-inch Midnight Silver-painted aluminum wheels
Front fascia with new foglamp design
RS-specific grille, new rear spoiler, rocker moldings, exterior RS badging, and unique mirror cap finish
Leather-appointed sport seats with sueded inserts and a new leather-wrapped sport steering wheel with a racing-inspired design
RS-specific interior trim color for the instrument cluster
2015 Chevy Sonic RS Sedan COLORS
2015 Chevy Sonic RS Sedan
New for 2015
- OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot (includes 3GB/three-month data trial)
- 1.4L turbo engine now standard on LTZ models
- Exterior color: Blue Velvet
2015 CHEVROLET SONIC ENHANCES
CONNECTIVITY WITH ONSTAR 4G LTE
The Chevrolet Sonic has made a big impact on Chevrolet’s successful small-car lineup, which is bringing new customers to the brand every day. Collectively the lineup in America – also including Spark, Spark EV, Cruze and Volt – saw an 11-percent increase in retail sales in 2013.
In fact, Chevrolet’s overall share of the small-, compact- and mini-car segments has jumped 221 percent since mid-2010, with nearly half of the customers new to Chevrolet.
New for 2015 is OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, which provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the car is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial.
Sonic’s youthful design, fuel efficiency, spirited driving experience and unexpected features for the segment are bringing new, younger customers to the Chevrolet brand, along with industry and government awards for value, design and safety. Thirty percent of Sonic buyers are under 35, and nearly half of buyers trade in a non-GM brand.
An advanced safety package including forward collision alert and lane departure warning – crash-avoidance technologies typically found on cars costing more – is available on all but base Sonic models, as well as a rear vision camera.
Ten standard air bags and Bluetooth phone connectivity across the Sonic lineup, as well as standard remote vehicle start on automatic transmission-equipped LT, LTZ and RS models, further enhance Sonic’s value.
The Sonic lineup
Sonic customers can choose between two body styles: a four-door sedan and a five-door hatchback in LS, LT, LTZ and RS models.
Sonic RS sedan and a Dusk package for the LTZ sedan joined the lineup midway through 2014 and return for 2015, giving customers more choices for high-style, performance-oriented sedans. The RS sedan delivers all of the performance-oriented features of the hatchback, while the Dusk package brings a higher level of sophistication to the segment, with distinctive exterior features and premium interior appointments.
Each Sonic model delivers class-leading rear-seat roominess and cargo space. Standard and available features include:
- Standard Ecotec 1.8L engine (non-RS models) paired with five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmissions that deliver an EPA-estimated 35 mpg highway
- Available 1.4L Ecotec turbocharged engine that, when paired with the six-speed manual, achieves an EPA estimated 40 mpg highway (non-RS models)
- Standard electric power steering and StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover sensing
- Sedan offers more trunk capacity (14.9 cu. ft. / 422 L), than the larger Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla; and the hatchback and sedan offer better rear-seat room than Ford Fiesta. With a rear seat that folds nearly flat, the Sonic hatchback has greater cargo capacity (47.7 cu. ft. / 1351 L) than Fiesta
- Connectivity includes Chevrolet MyLink radio (standard on LT, LTZ and RS), standard OnStar with six months of Automatic Crash Response, Directions and Connections service, Turn-by-Turn navigation and MyChevrolet mobile app. SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with three trial months of service) is standard on all but the base Sonic, along with USB and Bluetooth streaming audio functionality
- Remote start, heated front seats and sunroof – all rarities in the segment
- Ten standard air bags, anti-lock brakes with electronic brake force distribution and brake assist.
Sporty, youthful exterior