Still in the league?!
Definitely still in the league. A heavy hitter, this R8 is.
As what is likely Audi’s best mid-engine sportscar ever, the R8 V10 brings almost all of the road presence, curb appeal and raw performance as the Ferrari and McLaren supercars. In fact, it is still a very worth competitor to the all-new Huracan from Lamborghini – a car that will heavily incluence the next R8 when it arrives for 2016 or so.
Until then, the 2014 model is packing three engine options and an all-new twin-clutch DSG to replace the old sequential-automatic unit.
In terms of style, even the $120,000 V8 looks outstanding. Supercar proportions are certainly standard!
But the V10 does add appeal with its louder engine and quicker sprints: the new DSG box hustles the new R8 V10 Plus to 60-mph in just 3.3-seconds.
Granted, this is down 0.7-seconds versus the latest Porsche 911 Turbo S.
Even so, the R8 V10 is closer to the supercar formula with its low rear deck and mid-engine exotic stance. All this for what is about $50,000 to $100,000 less than an optioned 458, 650S or Huracan. It is easy to buy, with just a few options — but not as easy to personalize. Inside, the cabin comes in just a handful of dark leather options. Nothing near the Ferrari-levels of leather-everywhere, one-of-20-colors offered customizations.
Where it comes up short is in raw badge appeal versus the Lamborghini, Ferrari and McLaren. It just does not have quite the same exotic draw as its competitors – but is still an outstanding sportscar for those who would like more stares than a Porsche will deliver, but (a bit) less than a Ferrari.
This Sepang Blue Matte paint color is exlcusive to the R8 V10 Plus and is delicious. It matches the color of the UK-only R8 LMX that is coming to their market later this summer.
2014 Audi R8 V10 Plus
Safety | Security
Driver and front passenger dual–stage airbags, head/thorax side airbags, and knee airbags 2
Front passenger occupant detection–for airbags
Power central locking system with safety unlock feature if airbags deploy
Anti–lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake–pressure Distribution (EBD) and brake assist
Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with traction control (ASR)
Anti–theft alarm system with panic function
Tire–pressure monitoring system
Safety belt reminder for driver and front passenger
Audi Backguard system with adjustable head restraints
Manual parking brake
Audi hill hold assist
- Audi Singleframe® grille with Titanium finish
- Full LED headlight technology
- Automatic headlights
- LED taillight technology
- Carbon Fiber Sigma power–adjustable, auto–dimming, heated exterior side mirrors
- Front fog lights
- Dual exhaust outlets with Gloss Black tips (round, one per side)
- Titanium–optic trim around exterior windows
- Adaptive rear spoiler with manual override–deploys at 75 mph and retracts at 50 mph
- Missing text.
- LED turn indicator light technology integrated in the side mirrors
- Heated windshield washer nozzles
- LED engine compartment lighting
- Flared rocker panel
- Carbon Fiber Sigma Audi sideblades
- Gloss Black engine cover vents
- Carbon Fiber Sigma engine compartment inlays
- Automatic climate control
- Flat–bottom three–spoke multifunction sport steering wheel with shift paddles
- Tilt and telescopic manually adjustable steering column
- Power windows with one-touch up/down operation and pinch protection
- Carbon Fiber Sigma decorative interior inlays
- Black cloth headliner
- Dual front sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors
- Illuminated locking glove box
- Two beverage holders
- Auto–dimming interior rearview mirror with compass
- Storage compartment under seats, storage net on seatbacks and rear shelf
- Carbon Fiber Sigma door sills
- Front floor mats with fastening mechanism
- LED interior lighting technology
- Monoposto-influenced design’
Leather/Alcantara® seating surfaces
Six–way front sport seats with four–way power lumbar adjustment
Heated front seats
Extended Fine Nappa leather package (door pulls, door panel inserts and colored leather elements)