The 2014 Challenger is only lightly refreshed versus its Charger sedan sibling, but even so: this big bruiser is not going quietly into the dark night.
As the first rear-drive premium coupe made by Dodge in more than three decades, the Challenger has all the right stuff to burn rubber and have fun.
The latest 300-horsepower V6 is a welcome addition to this big machine’s base configuration, while the SXT models will even offer a 100th Anniversary Edition with unique crimson paints and detailing.
The real rubber-cooker is the R/T package and its 5.7-liter HEMI V8 with 375 horsepower and 365 pound-feet of torque. This is a really incredible V8, with even more torque and gurgle than most pickup trucks.
But is it too quiet and refined?
This video shows how great the 5.7-liter V8 in the Challenger can sound with just a cold air intake – let alone the full Shaker pack from Dodge.
Some think so and would like to see the beating heart of the beast from inside the cab. For this, there is only one option:
The Shaker hood!
This air cone draws cold air from outside the car, shudders on throttle sometimes, and generally makes every drive a bit more entertaining. The ram air effect is not proven at high speeds, but the shape of the raised air intakes shows potential.
In general, ram air is particularly effective with Hemispherical combustion engines because it creates a faster vortex of intake air for the engine to devour.
If you love everything about Shaker hoods – act fast: only 100 Shaker Challengers will be made for 2014.
They are set to arrive in January 2014, but a deposit is recommended pronto.
Included in the Shaker package is:
2014 DODGE CHALLENGER SHAKER – MSRP starting at $36,995
- SHAKER hood with functional air intake
- Unique SHAKER Hood, roof and decklid stripes (optional delete credit)
- 20-inch polished aluminum wheels with black pockets and satin finish
- Body-color grille surround with script Challenger badge
- Gloss black fuel door
- Available in Pitch Black, Bright White, Billet Silver Metallic, TorRed, Header Orange and Plum Crazy Pearl
- Functional SHAKER air intake
- Super Track Pak content, including performance-tuned steering, a stiffer suspension, bigger brakes, Goodyear Eagle® Supercar tires and three-mode Electronic Stability Control+ (ESC) that can be completely deactivated for the ultimate track experience
- High-performance heated leather seats with SHAKER logo
- Individually numbered SHAKER instrument panel badge
- Performance flat-bottom steering wheel
- SHAKER logo on 6.5-inch Uconnect system touchscreens
- Bright pedal kit
- Custom door trim with sepia plow-through stitching
- Black trim bezels
2014 Dodge Challenger Shaker Edition
Touchstones from the MOPAR musclecar back catalog…
1970 Challenger R/T